From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo metastructure reform - reality and SPI
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:10:13
1 On 01/11/2017 02:07 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 01/11/2017 09:03 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
3 >> Gentoo is a community-driven project lead by the Council, and we should
4 >> keep it that way. I therefore propose we follow the lead of other major
5 >> projects[0] and become associated with SPI[1], making use of their
6 >> various services[2] such as accepting donations, and holding funds and
7 >> other assets. As an associated project, Gentoo would retain its
8 >> independence - SPI would not own, govern, or otherwise control us.
9 >
10 > The proposed metastructure will also work with a Foundation being a
11 > project under council. Various alternatives could be discussed related
12 > to this, and I tend to agree an external entity can be beneficial, in
13 > particular given shared resources, but in the event it is not feasible
14 > or wanted, the foundation could be structured with bylaws that gives
15 > Council mandate to be the voting body and appoint Directors. I
16 > personally believe, in such a scenario, that professional help should be
17 > brought in for some of the tasks, in particular a certified professional
18 > accountant should be used to keep accounts and handle tax reporting.
21 First I feel we need to figure out if an external group would accept us,
22 what the terms are, etc, before we can go forward with any of this. I'm
23 all for doing less work :D
26 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)