From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Nomination of Alec Warner (antarus) for the Trustee Election
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 12:12:14
1 On 2018.07.14 11:33, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 6:02 AM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Whatever the board decide to do they have fudicary duty to get value
6 > > for money for the activities that they fund.
7 > > That implies that if a fix costs $x, that's what it costs,
8 > regardless of the
9 > > long term outlook for the Foundation.
10 > > The fudicary duty also implies optimising (not maximising) any
11 > remaining
12 > > funds to pass on to the Foundations successor.
15 > ++ in general.
16 >
17 > When it comes to following the law, you try to optimize what you spend
18 > while still following the law. You can always cut corners and spend
19 > less, but that simply isn't acceptable.
20
21 Agreed.
22 >
23 > You can never compare the costs of a non-compliant process with a
24 > compliant process. It will always be cheaper to just not pay your
25 > taxes. You can certainly complain different approaches and their
26 > costs if they both yield a compliant outcome. As I suggested the
27 > optimal approach might depend on whether you expect the process to be
28 > ongoing vs point-in-time.
29
30 I had more in mind its $X to become compliant in 6 months or $10x
31 to do it in some lesser time. Its a value judgement at the end of the day.
32 but it might be difficult to justify that extra $9x.
35 > Also, if your goal is to move to an umbrella, it might not hurt to get
36 > their recommendations and expectations up-front. Then you can ensure
37 > that your solution delivers something that the umbrella will accept.
38 > If you're on the fence between multiple umbrellas, or plan to use
39 > multiple umbrellas, then you need to ensure you meet all their
40 > requirements.
41
42 Agreed. Its really a two step process. Become compliant with the IRS.
43 That is non negotiable.
44
45 Step two is stay compliant somehow. Either by running our own
46 Foundation with professional help or moving to an umbrella.
47
48 I anticipate we will have to run the Foundation with professional help
49 at least briefly, since any umbrella will need time to look us over
50 after we are compliant, so the two options are not mutually exclusive.
53 > --
54 > Rich
59 Regards,
60