From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Next meeting; a motion to have 1 type of Gentoo member.
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 08:28:26
1 On 11/07/2016 02:23 AM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 06, 2016 at 06:32:59PM -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> The foundation currently has 1 member type (in the bylaws) but Gentoo
4 >> itself still seems to have 2 (Gentoo staff and Ebuild developer)
5 >> This motion represents an idea that the community itself would only
6 >> have 1 contributor type.
7 >> 1) Contributors must take the staff quiz (which we should rename to the
8 >> contributor quiz.)
9 >> 2) Contributors are encouraged to be foundation members, but membership
10 >> is not required. We may amend the contributor onboarding process to
11 >> offer foundation membership at the time they join Gentoo as a
12 >> contributor.
13 >> 3) Contributors that want access to the gentoo ebuild repository still
14 >> need to follow the normal recruiting process (ebuild quiz, mentor, 30
15 >> day period.)
16 >> 4) Contributors that do not want access to the gentoo ebuild repository
17 >> (because they contribute in other ways) do not need to take the ebuild
18 >> quiz. Its unclear if a 30 day grace period is required for non-ebuild
19 >> groups.
20 >> 5) Existing developers and staff are rebranded as contributors.
21 >> If approved, I expect a few months of working with comrel to adjust
22 >> existing policy documents and recruiting guidelines to implement.
23 >
24 > The difference between Staff and Developer is "merely" that a Developer has
25 > access to the Portage tree (and as such can influence system behavior of
26 > Gentoo users). Staff are still developers, they work on other aspects of the
27 > distribution, such as core documentation, infrastructure, release
28 > engineering, forum maintenance, etc.
29 >
30 > I would not appreciate an intake for contributors. Many wiki contributors
31 > (which offer a wealth of documentation information) would be affected by
32 > this, which they will see as bureaucratic stuff. Same with proxy maintained
33 > packages. Those contributors are no staff, yet they provide valuable
34 > improvements to Gentoo.
35 >
36 > If we would want to align Gentoo Project user-types and Foundation, then we
37 > are moving the project management into Foundation space a bit. Currently,
38 > the Foundation has always tried not to meddle within this. I am not opposed
39 > to making things a bit easier for both though (for instance, all staff and
40 > developers are automatically Gentoo Foundation members).
41 >
42 > Wkr,
43 > Sven Vermeulen
46 I hope I'm not putting words in Alec's mouth, but I see this as more of
47 an optional thing. Though if mandatory it'd be akin to signing a CLA
48 (which I'd personally be against as well).
49
50 We might be best served by defining what a contributor is.
53 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)