From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 15:53:10
1 On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 9:36 AM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi!
4 >
5 > On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 08:47:05 -0400 Alec Warner wrote:
6 > > Dear Gentoo Community,
7 > >
8 > > I have recently become the President of the Gentoo Foundation Inc. The
9 > > Foundation's documents[0] provide fairly terse guidance on how the
10 > > Foundation is to be operated. The Foundation currently provides funding
11 > for
12 > > Gentoo Infrastructure, and very little else. Part of my job as President
13 > is
14 > > to determine what additional activities the Foundation can pursue (if
15 > any);
16 > > and to determine how the Foundation can improve Gentoo by investing in
17 > > infrastructure, while still meeting the spirit of the other restrictions
18 > on
19 > > Foundation activities[1]. So community, how do you think the Foundation
20 > can
21 > > assist the development of Gentoo?
22 > >
23 > > Some ideas might be:
24 > > - Host a Gentoo Conference.
25 > > - Host a bug-bounty program.
26 > > - Fund talks about Gentoo development activities at industry
27 > conferences.
28 > > - Invest significantly in Infrastructure spending to fund ambitious
29 > > projects.
30 >
31 > First and foremost the Foundation should focus on its primary
32 > goal: funding, its financial accounting and becoming non for profit
33 > organization.
36 > Current state of the Foundation's bookkeeping is concerning: we have
37 > not seen final annual financial report for years. Good news that
38 > finally preliminary reports are published (thanks robbat2!), but
39 > they are not final and there is still a lot of work to do.
40 >
41 > Tax status is unclear (it was discussed earlier that the Foundation
42 > may have to pay quite sufficient tax as a penalty for lousy
43 > accounting).
44 >
45 > And the Foundation still lacks non for profit official status.
46 >
47 > Lack of human resources is a long-standing problem for the
48 > Foundation and embracing more goals while failing with the critical
49 > ones is an unwise idea.
53 First off, I 100% agree we should do the financial accounting. Consider it
54 my first priority.
55
56 Regarding the funding; the main thrust of this thread is basically deciding
57 how much funding is enough; We have a bunch of money. Its expected that
58 post-finance cleanup we will still have money leftover; and we don't spend
59 very much money today. So given that, what could we spend money on? How
60 could the foundation put its funds to good use in its mission? That is the
61 question I'm trying to get input on; I think the answer in many ways
62 impacts what kind of financial plan we have for the Foundation in 2019 /
63 2020.
64
65 The foundation is already a not-for-profit organization. Did you perhaps
66 mean a *tax-exempt* not for profit, and if so, why do you think we should
67 be a tax-exempt nonprofit?
68
69 -A
73 > Best regards,