From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: Jan Bilek <clonolu@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 00:05:00
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2008.02.02 22:01, Jan Bilek wrote:
5
6 Jan,
7
8 As a candidate in the Gentoo Foundation election, I would like to take
9 the time to address the points you have raised.
10 > I am not a developer, just user, but I hope I can dare to express my
11 > opinion - I read these nice ideas about improving communication
12 > between developers and users and I think it's also up to us -
13 > users...
14 > so I am trying.
15 Indeed it is - communication is a two way process.
18 > I have grown up in a centrally planned economy and it was all about
19 > regular meetings, summaries and named positions - those were used as
20 > tools to improve things and they almost never worked as expected.
21 Regular meetings provide records of decisions. For an organization such
22 as the Foundation, that's important. Summaries save people reading the
23 whole log when they only need to know the agreements reached. Named
24 positions shows who is normally responsible for an activity. A first
25 point of contact, if you like.
28 > For example these regular meetings you propose - if there is an issue
29 > to talk about why wait until the regular meeting is held? Are there
30 > no efficient and easy to use channels to communicate immediately?
31 You can use this mailing list and join #gentoo-trustees. There is no
32 need to wait for a meeting to start a discussion or raise an issue.
33 The next meeting will ensure that trustees have a common view of the
34 issue, record is progress in an easily accessible way and ensure its
35 not forgotten. emails and ad-hoc IRC discussions are good for getting
36 started but not for tracking progress and recording decisions.
39 > If there is no issue to talk about - regular meeting would be just a
40 > waste of time.
41 I don't agree - these meetings ensure that everyone is aware and can
42 participate fully in the decision making process. Trustees will be in
43 several timezones - that is an issue for managing a virtual community
44 such as Gentoo.
45
46 > These institutional things make everything less efficient - and BTW -
47 > they tend to get sooo boring and meaningless... The more non-formal,
48 > immediate and 'not institutionalized' communication - the better.
49 You need a balance between the formal, which produces formal records
50 and the informal, that does not.
51
52 > In (obviously not just) my opinion the problem is that Gentoo has
53 > become too political, too rigid, too bureaucratic and institutional -
54 I think the Gentoo council, which was set up to be a technical body is
55 getting bogged down in politics from time to time, which impedes its
56 technical decision making process. This is where the Gentoo Foundation
57 can help, by taking on all the political aspects of our community.
58
59 > and it seems to me that maybe you don't realize (maybe you have not
60 > attended as many regular meetings as I have;-)) that you want to fix
61 > things by making Gentoo even more bureaucratic, more institutional,
62 > less flexible.
63 I hope that's not the intent. My intent is to have the council and
64 foundation work together such that the council does not spend its time
65 on politics and is free to focus on technical things. This will lead to
66 more flexible decision making.
69 > I think the solution is to go the exact opposite way - to make
70 > structural changes and use technical tools (as Daniel Robbins wrote
71 > about it) that would allow Gentoo to become more decentralized,
72 > flexible, less formal, less political. Disassembling the cathedral a
73 > little.
74 I think there are some good ideas here. Gentoo has reached a size where
75 central control can at best, only set a direction. It cannot manage
76 details. Gentoo does have some of the structure in place for these
77 things to happen - the separate projects and herds.
78 Gentoo is in need of middle management - perhaps it can come from the
79 Foundation.
80 >
81 > Competition of smaller projects led by developers who talk when they
82 > need to instead of cathedral led by official institutions going
83 > through official (and less and less efficient) ways. Smaller teams
84 > who communicate on daily basis so they don't need summaries and
85 > reports.
86 That's fine for the individual projects but what about the wider
87 community and the bigger projects that need to know what is happening
88 to the projects that they use. In particular, I'm thinking of Release
89 Engineering who are putting together the 2008.0 LiveCD. They need to
90 know that the various parts will be ready on time.
91 Users like to know whats happening too - how would that information be
92 circulated without summaries and reports ?
95 > Allowing and promoting funny competition between smaller teams
96 > instead of demotivating (because unsolvable) fights inside huge teams
97 > frozen in official ways of doing things.
98 I have never seen this - can you provide an example please ?
99
100 > I have seen many developers leaving Gentoo because of fights - is it
101 > necessary?
102 I have seen some developers leave as a disagreement was the 'last
103 straw' but never as sole reason. Often, real reasons for leaving are
104 not made public.
105
106 > There should be some way to use the conflict for Gentoo's
107 > sake and developers' fun instead of never-ending discussions with
108 > only one solution - less patient side of a dispute leaves Gentoo.
109 Some technical discussions really do only have a single solution.
112 > Discussions are good but sometimes when there is too much of a need
113 > to discuss things this tells us that there is something wrong and
114 > there is a need for structural change.
115 I hope the Foundation can facilitate changes like this.
116
117 > I think Gentoo needs mechanism for teams to split up much more
118 > easily - I mean... lets let the work do
119 > the talking - if there is a disagreement in a team they should be
120 > able to split up easily and compete - the better technical solution
121 > wins and gets to the official tree - that's IMO more efficient and
122 > more fun way than discussions. I have some kind of micro-forks
123 > inside Gentoo on mind
124 Like the portage, plaudis, pkgcore developments in progress at them
125 moment perhaps ?
126
127 > - I think that is what Gentoo should support
128 > as much as possible
129 > and Gentoo's infrastructure should be tailored to support it.
130 >
131 > To find the mechanism that would allow to maintain functionality of
132 > Gentoo as whole, solve compatibility issues etc. without too much of
133 > a huge organization that needs more and more energy to keep itself
134 > going... writing summaries and attending meetings while there is less
135 > and less time left to do the actual work - that is the problem.
136 Its a question of balance. Producing the information needed to keep
137 users and other developers informed without doing to much, at the same
138 time making sure that enough paperwork is produced to be able to use
139 the products made by developers and understand the decisions they made
140 at sometime in the future, when changes need to be made.
143 > Thanx for your time reading this.
144 >
145 > Jan Bilek.
146 > --