From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] What could the Gentoo Foundation do with money?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 21:35:52
1 Replying to list as well as sender. Hopefully sender doesn't mind, I
2 don't believe their email was personal or private in nature.
3
4 On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 23:22 +0200, Ewald Tienkamp wrote:
6 > Hash: RIPEMD160
7 >
8 > William L. Thomson Jr. schreef:
9 > | For more of a fun thread. I am just going to list a bunch of ideas I
10 > | personally have had wrt to what Gentoo could do with money. They are not
11 > | listed in any particular order.
12 > [snip]
13 > |
14 > | There are likely more, hopefully others will chime in on stuff I missed.
15 > |
16 >
17 > I am certain the Foundation, and more importantly Gentoo in general,
18 > would benefit from having (more) money. As you have listed, the money
19 > can be used anywhere from promoting the use of Gentoo, to increasing the
20 > amount of people who know about Gentoo, sponsor hardware and software
21 > for devs, provide support, pay legal fees, etcetera.
22
23 Yeah the idea is only to make things better, no worse. But always a
24 double edged sword.
25
26 > Yet I'd like to sidestep the discussion on what to spend the money on
27 > and focus on how the money is actually coming in. I have emailed several
28 > Gentoo addresses with my suggestion over the year(s), yet failed to
29 > receive a single response. (Maybe use some of the income to hire staff
30 > to answer incoming email? ;) )
31
32 FYI, in a month or two, the meeting agenda or part of it will be
33 focusing on how the foundation can raise funds. Starting with a yearly
34 budget, and fund drive. But we will explore other more creative ways.
35
36 > Either way, why is there no way to donate to Gentoo on a monthly/yearly
37 > basis?
38
39 Can't this be done now via PayPal? Or are we not setup properly with
40 PayPal to allow people to make scheduled re-occurring donations.
41
42 > I, and as I suspect many people with me, would like to support
43 > Gentoo, yet can't cough up a decent donation at once. When the
44 > Foundation provides us with the ability to support Gentoo with a small
45 > recurring donation, the advantage would be twofold:
46 > - - More people will be able to or are more likely to donate since it only
47 > requires a small amount of money at a time (anywhere from 1 to 10
48 > dollars for instance)
49 > - - The Foundation acquires a more steady flow of money, (increasingly)
50 > allowing for long(er)-term spending plans.
51
52 If that's not possible now, we will surely see about making it a
53 possibility before end of term.
54
55 > Please correct me if I'm way off on this, but since the issue of money
56 > was brought up here, I couldn't help but jump in with this suggestion
57 > I've been carrying around.
58
59 Please do provide ideas and feedback. That's why I started the thread.
60 Mostly for discussion, ideas, food for though, etc.
61
62 Although all unofficially atm. Just me as an individual voicing some
63 ideas and thoughts. The board is a few months from looking into how we
64 can generate revenue. If there is interest in that. Much less how to
65 spend it once we do have funds and flow :)
68 William L. Thomson Jr.
69 amd64/Java/Trustees
70 Gentoo Foundation