From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Developer Crypto Hardware (AGM)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 11:45:05
1 On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 08:44:22 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2018-08-21 at 02:26 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:57:52 -0400 Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 4:27 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
5 > > > wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > > On 08/20/2018 10:18 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
8 > > > > > Are there other ways to measure if the keys are used in the manner we are
9 > > > > > hoping for?
10 > > > >
11 > > > > Nope... additional complexity arise if multiple signing keys exists
12 > > > > (primary or subkeys), and furthermore there is no guarantee the key is
13 > > > > stored on key only.
14 > > > >
15 > > > > That said, the actual security is even further muddied by operational
16 > > > > security concerns regarding how the primary key is accessed even in the
17 > > > > event signing subkey is on card only.. and other security precations
18 > > > > required by the developers for the token to have any meaningful addition
19 > > > > to security as an attacker can anyways just wait for it to be be
20 > > > > available, in particular if not mandating forcesig on the openpgp applet
21 > > > > and counting the number of signatures manually to detect abnormalities.
22 > > > >
23 > > >
24 > > > I assert that the hardware token, when the key is stored only in the token
25 > > > and not in another place online, prevents export of key material.
26 > >
27 > > No, it doesn't. The cost of extracting a key from a stolen token is
28 > > approximately $1000 depending on a token model.
29 >
30 > What is the cost of extracting a key from a stolen hard drive?
31
32 Keys on my hard drive have double encryption using independent
33 algorithms and passwords. So if we are talking about cost of
34 retrieving such case from hard drive alone (and not other attack
35 vectors), it will be infinite.
36
37 > What are the costs of other attack vectors on Gentoo, for comparison?
38
39 Please specify other attack vectors to have well founded further
40 discussion.
41
42 Best regards,
43 Andrew Savchenko