From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question about other people's intellectual property
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 04:53:56
Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Mon Apr 11 2005, 03:08:02PM CDT]
> Enemy Territory, though free, has a restriction that would keep us from > distributing it in "modified form", which includes the installed form. > The only form that we can provide it in is the installer itself. > > If I wanted to get permission from Id to make, say, the old Gentoo Games > Enemy Territory CD and redistribute it, they would need to grant a > specific license to the Foundation to allow this, correct? > > Now, who/what would that license cover? The Foundation? All the > developers? Our mirrors? > > What legal bindings does the Foundation have to say, developer Y? Can > the Foundation engage in legal contracts on the behalf of Gentoo Linux?
Good question. I have to admit that I have no idea what the answer might be. I would think that the Foundation could, and probably should, engage in legal contracts on the behalf of Gentoo devs. The tricky part is that I'm not sure what, if any, ability the Foundation has to ensure that Gentoo devs live up to their part of the bargain. -g2boojum- -- Grant Goodyear Gentoo Developer g2boojum@g.o http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76