From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
Cc: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: foundation update...
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:52:54
1 > Dostrow has been looking into relocating the Foundation to someplace
2 > where we either actually have somebody, or that doesn't care whether we
3 > do or not. Any results there?
4
5 First chance I'm getting to respond...sorry about the delay. Unlike New
6 Mexico which actually requires that an officer of the corporation hold
7 state residency Delaware only requires that a "Registered Agent" hold
8 residency in the state, and hold the same address as that listed in the
9 articles of incorporation. The legal requirements to be a Registered
10 Agent in Delaware are to maintain a street address and office located in
11 Delaware and be open during normal business hours for the purpose of
12 accepting service of process according to 8 DEL.C. § 132. This is
13 consistent with other corporate friendly states such as Nevada and
14 Tennessee.
15
16 What this effectively means is that in order to relocate to Delaware we
17 would have to pay a management firm to maintain a shared office space,
18 mailing address and phone number in the state. A copy of our Articles of
19 Incorporation would have to be stored at this location and presentable
20 for inspection by anyone who asks for it.
21
22 There are several such management firms out there. The most basic of
23 them only provides the above services, other extras include conference
24 rooms usable for corporate meetings, fax services, etc. I am compiling a
25 list of reputable firms and will present it to the board in the coming
26 weeks.
27
28 A full list can be found at:
29 http://www.state.de.us/corp/agents/agts.shtml