From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Foundation by laws: new Article V
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 15:24:43
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2008.09.01 13:55, Richard Freeman wrote:
5 [snip]
6
7 Richard,
8
9 Thank you for a well thought out mail. Its worth a point by
10 point response as it collects a number of issues together and I can use
11 my response to air some possibly contraversial solutions to some of the
12 problems you recognise.
13
14 > I figured I'd raise an issue that is probably worth thinking about
15 > which
16 > doesn't appear to have come up. In the past the largest point of
17 > failure for the trustees has been simply not having enough of them.
18 I would generalise that to be "too few spread too thinly". However, we
19 are where we are, we need to get to where we want to be.
20
21 > That being the case, does it make sense to do anything to limit
22 > potential contribution to this team?
23 Only as far as to prevent conflicts of interest. e.g. The council has
24 seven members and the foundation has five trustees. Would you permit
25 the corner case of trustees being a subset of council ?
26
27 There are so few people interested in Trustee roles because Gentoo
28 developers are first and formost interested in software, not business
29 administration. In my view, we will find more trustees by allowing
30 users to become members, so that they may stand for the role. There was
31 a groundswell against this idea but maybe given time, views will
32 change. I don't think we will have a shortage of trustees but read on.
33
34 > In theory council members are
35 > in the place they are in because for whatever reason they are willing
36 > and able to devote a lot of devotion to Gentoo. They should be far
37 > more capable of wearing multiple hats than others. I'm fine, of
38 > course, with general controls to prevent too much concentration of
39 > power - but that would apply to individual non-council trustees as
40 > well.
41 >
42 > Having dual-membership would also help to increase alignment of the
43 > two bodies. Ideally I'd probably only have one body (like most
44 > corporations), but there are good practical reasons for the current
45 > split (differing expertise/interest required, US residency issues).
46 I would like to work out a single body struture like most corporations
47 too but thats way in the future, after the foundation has shown that
48 its not going to vanish from the public eye. The trust from the gentoo
49 community simply isn't there yet and won't be for a few years.
52 > In my thinking, if the only thing the trustees did was attend a 5
53 > minute monthly meeting, cut the odd check to somebody helping out the
54 > organization, and renew the annual paperwork that would be a success.
55 /me smiles.
56
57 > In order to do that we need a number of bodies for oversight, but not
58 > everybody needs to be willing to spend 10 hours a month on the
59 > foundation. If one or two are willing that is probably plenty - but
60 > they'll need to avoid being frustrated with others who might only
61 > appear to be dead weight (but dead weight is better than running into
62 > a situation where only 1-2 people even bother to run for office).
63 >
64 > I think that some of the problems in the past with the trustees has
65 > been a desire to bite off more than they could chew. Sure, maybe one
66 > or two members could have handled it, but if everybody isn't willing
67 > to go along then what happens is that nobody voices the problem out
68 > of a
69 > desire to go along with the team, but nobody contributes either and
70 > then
71 > 1-2 people get burned out carrying the load. The solution isn't to
72 > yell
73 > at the other non-contributors, but rather to not take on more than
74 > absolutely essential without fully counting the cost.
75 There are two stages to running the Gentoo Foundation. The first is to
76 get it set up the way New Mexico, the IRS and ourselves require, then
77 to manage its day to day business.
78
79 We are mostly there with the first part - we still need to sort out a
80 bank account. After that we need to sort out the shop. It still doesn't
81 have any Gentoo CD/DVDs for sale.
82
83 > Gentoo has some serious manpower constraints. That doesn't make us a
84 > "dying distro" or anything - but we do need to be careful about not
85 > focusing too much effort on non-essentials. If somebody wants to
86 > volunteer to do something extra that is great (that is how a
87 > community effort works), but it is important that we not assign
88 > "jobs" to volunteers that aren't absolutely essential.
89 I don't think we are doing that - if you spot something we are wasting
90 resource on, please tell us.
93 > My personal opinion is that the trustees would do best to focus on
94 > making the foundation minimally functional (ie all essential legal
95 > paperwork in place - drop anything controversial and focus on bylaws
96 > that all can agree to).
97 The bylaws were agreed on Sunday, 31 August. Its the first time in the
98 Gentoo Foundations history that it has had formally adopted bylaws.
99 That means we now have terms of reference to appoint officers. Until
100 now, trustees have doubled as officers but that is set to change. That
101 will allow the trustees to revert to their more normal director roles
102 and try to attract people to the officer roles that are more skilled,
103 have more time etc., for the work. Its officers that do all the real
104 work under the direction of the trustees. That will increase the
105 foundation manpower. I should also make it clear that Foundation
106 offiers need not be Gentoo developers, anyone who is capable of
107 discharging the duties as stated in the bylaws can serve as an officer.
108
109 <speculation> its likely that any officers who are not already gentoo
110 developers would become gentoo staff members, like myself
111 </speculation>
112
113 > Then it should really look to try to join an
114 > unbrella organization that will handle the routine issues. That will
115 > actually free up trustees to provide more high-level guidance to the
116 > organization without getting tied up in administration.
117 That is certainly one long term option.
120 > All of this is just my personal opinion and I think the trustees
121 > would do well to at least think about some of this.
122 I think we have.
123
124 > I really don't
125 > need/demand any reply - you guys are the ones in the hot seat and you
126 > wouldn't have been elected if the rest of us didn't respect your
127 > judgment. Just be careful about limiting help - at the next trustee
128 > election we might find devs volunteering to run on a platform of "I
129 > don't intend to lift a finger do do much work, but I don't want to
130 > see the trustees die from not having a quorum so I'll run" and
131 > getting
132 > elected due to a lack of candidates.
133 Thats already happened, read some of the trustees election manifestos
134 from Feb 2008.
135
136 > I'm not actually convinced that
137 > this is an entirely bad thing except that it deviates from what would
138 > be ideal.
141 I'm surpised that the phrase "No individual shall serve as a Gentoo
142 Foundation Trustee and Gentoo Council Member concurrently" has stirred
143 up so much interest in the Foundation. I thought there were much more
144 contentious bits in the bylaws but I'm not saying which.
145
146 The views expressed here are my own and do not represent the views of
147 the Gentoo Foundation or other trustees.
148
149 - --
150 Regards,
151