From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: James Laslavic <squarebottle@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Daniel Robbins Controversy Unfairly Reported in GMN
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 03:39:43
1 James Laslavic wrote:
2 >
3 > There has yet to be any polling to indicate what percentage of
4 > affiliated, official developers oppose the proposal.
5
6 I think that this is in part due to the fact that discussions are still
7 ongoing. I think that most devs are potentially interested in working
8 with Daniel but are trying to work with him to determine what will work
9 for everyone. Efforts also took time to determine the legal status of
10 the foundation, which is obviously a pre-req to trying to make a
11 decision. Most devs seemed to be in favor of delaying any kind of
12 official polls until the options were a little more clear. If the only
13 options were the status-quo and Daniel's proposal exactly as written I
14 suspect that if forced to vote most devs would pick the former, while
15 not being entirely satisfied with that dichotomy.
16
17 In any case, progress is being made on all fronts - the legal situation
18 is being resolved, efforts are under way to bolster PR and find
19 constructive ways to involve users more in the distro, and various
20 suggestions have been discussed regarding ways that Daniel could get
21 involved - some on this list and some with Daniel.
22
23 What exactly would be the point of a developer's poll at this point? At
24 this point the polling options still hinge on what Daniel would be
25 willing to accept in terms of his getting involved again.
26
27 As far as to whether the goal of GMN is to communicate the thinking of
28 the Gentoo staff to the community or to communicate the thinking of the
29 community in general to everybody - I think that is a valid item for
30 discussion. It probably wouldn't hurt to capture the sense of the
31 various perspectives in a newsletter like this. It probably wouldn't
32 belong in the Planet Gentoo section - since Planet Gentoo is populated
33 from staff blogs.
34
35 I think it is safe to say that most devs are interested in making users
36 happy. And I think that devs are willing to work with Daniel if that is
37 likely to make users happy. The main issue at the moment is trying to
38 determine whether an arrangement can be worked out that everybody can
39 live with. There is a lot of question over whether Daniel's involvement
40 will really make users happy in the long term (obviously there would be
41 cheering in the streets for the first three months - but then what?).
42 There is also a lot of question over whether Daniel's involvement will
43 make the devs happy in either the short or long term - obviously a
44 partnership won't work if the devs can't accept it.
45 --
46 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list