From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Thoughts on upcoming trustee elections
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 06:01:46
1 Aron Griffis wrote: [Wed Apr 27 2005, 08:48:40PM CDT]
2 > I don't want to delay things with an unnecessary discussion, but
3 > wouldn't Condorcet voting work well in this situation?
4
5 Quite possibly. I hope you noticed the part of my e-mail where I
6 mentioned that my proposal wasn't necessarily a good one. The reason is
7 that I know very little about election theory.
8
9 In any event, I'm reasonably happy with any well-established voting
10 scheme.
11
12 > If we were to go ahead with a Condorcet election, then each voter
13 > would need to rank the candidates rather than simply voting yes or no.
14 > We also would need to decide on the number of trustees that will be
15 > elected. (I would suggest maintaining the current number for
16 > simplicity.) However we would have a fair election without the
17 > possible mishaps that can occur with an ad-hoc scheme.
18
19 My worry was that the argument over how many trustees to have could
20 derail the entire process. Worse, until the trustee archive becomes
21 available there's no way for people to really make an informed decision
22 on what the right number happens to be. I claim that we have too many
23 trustees as it is, because right now its rare for all trustees (or even
24 a majority) to comment on any issue, but what's a good number?
25
26 That said, if we have too many trustees for another year, its hardly the
27 end of the world, and the foundation can always change things next year.
28 So, if 13 (the current number) is minimally contentious, I'll support
29 it.
30
31 -g2boojum-
32 --
33 Grant Goodyear
34 Gentoo Developer
35 g2boojum@g.o
36 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
37 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76