From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Logo usage on http://snapcraft.io/
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 14:24:11
1 On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2016, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
3 >
4 >>> The Foundation isn't even the copyright holder of the (vector
5 >>> version of the) logo, therefore it cannot grant such permission.
6 >
7 >> I don't think this is correct. The Gentoo Foundation does have
8 >> copyright ownership over the logo, see
9 >> http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=78323020&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch
10 >
11 > So you say that the information given on this page:
12 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Artwork/Artwork#Vector_version_.22g.22_logo
13 > is wrong? For example, for the second image it claims "Vector version
14 > by Lennart Andre Rolland, licensed under CC-BY-SA/2.5".
15 >
16 > Note that we are talking about copyright here, not about the
17 > trademark (which is owned by the Gentoo Foundation).
18
19 I'd say that if nothing else it is probably incomplete.
20
21 If I draw a picture, it is copyrighted by me (if it isn't a work for
22 hire, under US law). If somebody else draws the same picture, it is
23 copyrighted by me and the new author. I'd need the new author's
24 permission to use it, but so would the new author.
25
26 I don't know the whole history here, but you can't just draw a Gentoo
27 logo and claim sole copyright on it. You can't even legally
28 redistribute your own work without permission since it is a derivative
29 work.
32 Rich