From: m h <sesquile@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] porting maxos port to posix (ala openpkg)
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:23:48
1 Hello-
2
3 I posted in the gentoo-dev mailing list yesterday, but figured I'd post here
4 since it is somewhat closer related. I'm investigating the differences
5 between portage and openpkg. For those who don't know about openpkg, openpkg
6 allows one to install rpms in a sandboxed environment accross multiple unix
7 platforms (bsd, redhat, debian, gentoo,...). It consists of a way to
8 bootstrap an environment and a bunch of spec files used to create rpms
9 specifically tailored for that platform. The idea being you could run the
10 "same" components across different platforms in your environment.
11
12 It seems that Fink and Portage for OSX are providing similar functionality
13 on top of OSX. My question is what would be involved in generalizing the
14 Portage OSX port to unix platforms similar to what openpkg is doing. An
15 example might be that while I need to run Suse at work, I could install
16 portage into a sandboxed location and enter that environment. This would
17 allow me to run newer components, better integrated, security patched, etc,
18 while still having the corporate environment if I needed it.
19
20 Ideally the benefits for doing this would be to allow many platforms to take
21 advantage of portage, use the large ebuild tree (openpkg has ~400
22 components), as well as use ebuilds that are tested probably a little bit
23 more than openpkg (I believe the gentoo install base is a least one or two
24 orders of magnitude larger than openpkg).
25
26 Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are appreciated.
27
28 thanks
29
30 matt