From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: dirk.schoenberger@×××××××.de
Cc: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] About your bugzilla reports
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:55:39
Hi Dirk,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your numerous bugs reported
in our Bugzilla.  It looks to me like you are just going through every
package you find in a given category.  This is fine because it
immediately tells us which packages are the low hanging fruit ones that
compile out of the box.  However, compilation only is not the only thing
we consider when keywording a package.

The simplest thing we can do, before keywording is checking whether the
compiled binary actually starts.  Then we try to figure out if the build
application works like expected on some key points.

Often ebuilds hav USE flags which control additional behaviour and
compilation options.  Of course each (combination of) these USE flags
should work before we keyword the package.

In a reply to your latest flood of bug mails, I would like to ask you on
behalf of the Gentoo/OSX team to keep this in mind, and where possible:
1) check at least all of the USE flags enabled
2a) give a quick fling to the build application to see if it works or not
2b) if you perform a test somehow, report, so we can retry that
3) make sure you are not reporting bugs on working packages on packages
already marked ppc-macos or ~ppc-macos

Again, thanks for your contributions.  We hope you can ease our lives a
little bit by supplying us with some more detailed info on what you have
tried in order to get what you got.

Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X
gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list