From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] OSX version
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:35:03
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Grobian wrote:

> > > Finn Thain wrote: > > > > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Grobian wrote: > > > > > > I would like to point out that we have the potential for all the > > > > same kinds of issues as a merged x86/amd46 team would have, > > > > regarding binary incompatibility and keywording. Not the the > > > > extent of that team, but difficulties none the less. > > > I agree, but this problem should to a certain extend be solved by > > > using portage provided versions of programs yet supplied by the OS. > > > I personally think that for now we can get away with primarily > > > looking at OSX Tiger. > > > > I'm curious, is this really a binary compatibility issue, or just a > > portability problem in libsigsegv? > > I hadn't read it like that. I understood it more like a general point > being made. libsigsegv seems to be known with Darwin7, not with 8. > The model in Darwin8 is different, and supports POSIX sigsegv stuff > where Darwin7 needs some Darwin7 specific code, apparently like Darwin5 > did.
OK. Thanks.
> To me, this package just works on both Panther and Tiger, but it could > have been that it wouldn't on one of them.
If "wouldn't work" means "wouldn't build", isn't it a package.mask problem, as Hasan said? So, I guess the general point being made is about what happens when a package built in darwin 8 doesn't run in 9 (which is similar to what happens in a 64-bit system without 32-bit libraries, as Nick alluded to). Generally speaking I wouldn't be suprised to need emerge --emptytree world if I wanted to take my gentoo installation to a darwin 9 system. I don't think that using more portage provided builds is going to change that. Indeed, if portage provides the entire userland, it can't be expected to work at all under a new kernel. Which makes me think that the ppc-macos/10.3 profile should actually inherit from a ppc-darwin/8 profile (in my fantasy ;-) -f -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-osx] OSX version Grobian <grobian@g.o>