From: Lina Pezzella <J4rg0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o, Grobian <grobian@g.o>
Cc: Stefaan <stefaan@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: openafs on macos, wrt bug #100625
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:27:54

On Sep 5, 2005, at 1:15 PM, Grobian wrote:

> Stefaan wrote: > > >> I was able to get openafs to compile. I however do realize that >> init-scripts etc. will probably be totally different, as module >> loading will not be the same etc. etc. Though this is not a sign of >> an working ebuild, it does seem that adapting the current one to >> support this platform is quite doable. >>
Does it install to the filesystem successfully? If so, can you start the daemon manually? There isn't any specific project policy on keywording ebuilds with init scripts, but I can say that there are ebuilds in the tree that are keyworded ~ppc-macos (again, not stable) even though they have init scripts which obviously do not work yet. This wasn't my decision, but I can agree partly with the rationale - init script functionality is a problem with baselayout and hopefully can be solved once and for all in baselayout. Additionally, packages with init scripts may be completely functional otherwise, so I can see a decision not to support init scripts on Gentoo for OS X currently as a decision to remove consideration of said init scripts from our evaluation of packages.
> In the light of all these problems, I propose to keep openafs > unkeyworded for ppc-macos for now. As soon as someone reports a > bug that it doesn't work or that it does but with a patch etc. via > Bugzilla, I'd like to invest some time into it. I suspect that > noone really needs it on the current ppc-macos portage,
This is an open source project without a lead. If you don't feel like looking into this package, then don't. Nobody is telling you what to do or not to do. Personally, I don't use openAFS, so I wouldn't know what to do with it anyways.