From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Current status
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:41:44
1 On Jul 31, 2005, at 24:28, Kito wrote:
2
3 > On Jul 31, 2005, at 12:05 AM, Hasan Khalil wrote:
4 >
5 >> Seriously, though, I wouldn't say that installing/using Gentoo for
6 >> Mac OS X would void any support requests. All of your points
7 >> stand, but I just think that your 'semantics' are a bit harder
8 >> than the reality. :)
9 >
10 > Tell an apple support rep you have installed custom software in /
11 > System and /usr and let me know the response ;) hint: have your OS
12 > X install media handy
13
14 Been there, done that. They didn't say anything about having to
15 reinstall. To tell the truth, they treated me better once they knew I
16 wasn't another Dumb User(tm). Only done it once, though, so I may
17 have just been lucky. Please share any relevant personal experiences
18 you have.
19
20 > As a side note...I've been poking around the portage cvs, and its
21 > very repo agnostic...do you think the fink and DP folks will get
22 > upset when we start emerging fink and DP ports? ;)
23
24 Not sure I understood you correctly. Do you mean to say that we'd be
25 able to use fink and DP repos and have portage understand them?
26 Obviously, using their repos would be pretty useless for the most
27 part, but it'd still be an interesting exercise in abuse of portage
28 features.
32 Hasan Khalil
33 eBuild and Porting Co-Lead
34 Gentoo for Mac OS X