From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] on stable and unstable ppc-macos
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 18:44:47
On Sep 4, 2005, at 24:00, Finn Thain wrote:

> Are there known bugs with the ~ppc-macos baselayout?
Yes and no. There are design issues still in the works with it. I think that the general consensus is that it's definitely _not_ ready for prime-time, yet.
> Yes, and if devs used stable, that would improve QA also. If the > dev that > keyworded qt was using stable, s/he would have found that the qt > deps were > wrong because they don't include the baselayout requirement.
Uh, no? The x11-libs/qt deps are indeed correct. Please do your homework before posting to this list; you should read up on Gentoo policy about DEPENDS and packages that are in 'system', such as baselayout. Should Gentoo policy change, I would have absolutely no problem (and would actually encourage) adding 'virtual/baselayout' to DEPENDS where necessary. Brian Harring has also discussed this on gentoo-dev, in relation to 'BDEPENDS'.
> Well, moving stable packages to testing also creates a misnomer.
Again, do your homework. Stable packages are a subset of testing packages for any given arch. By specifying '~arch' in your KEYWORDS (in /etc/make.conf), you are actually implicitly specifying 'arch'.
> Can someone explain what is to be gained from this that cannot be > achieved > with automated builds (e.g. to weed out the badly broken stable > packages > and check the deps of the ~ppc-macos packages); as well as a policy to > relax the "30 day" rule?
What automated builds? AFAIK, we don't have an automated build system, and one won't exist for a Real Long Time(tm). Once it does, I'm all for keeping a stable branch. Until then, I find that keeping a stable branch is way more work than we can keep up with, for all the reasons cited in my previous message(s) to this list. I don't mean to sound rude, here; I apologize in advance if I do. Please don't take any of this personally. -- Hasan Khalil eBuild and Porting Co-Lead Gentoo for Mac OS X

File name MIME type
PGP.sig application/pgp-signature

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-osx] on stable and unstable ppc-macos Grobian <grobian@g.o>