From: Nathan <nathan.stocks@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:37:17
1 > As you will all know after the last GWN, we are a prefixed project. I
2 > tried to tell the GWN folks that we aren't, but apparently they didn't
3 > believe me. Who am I, heh? For sure, I can't know. If there are more
4 > things that more or less require some discretion, due to mail volumes,
5 > extreme beta-bility, etc., please don't hesitate to catch me in
6 > non-recordable places such as IRC or personal email. I prefer the
7 > latter. Perhaps it is also a good idea to keep CVS/SVN commit messages
8 > a bit vague from now on.[1]
9 >
10 > Anywayz, I wrote a new page yesterday:
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/macos/targets.xml
12
13 Sooo, after reading your new page I don't understand your comment
14 about not being a prefixed project, unless you are talking about your
15 defined distinction between "Gentoo for Mac OS X" and "Gentoo Portage
16 for Mac OS X."
19 "Because "Darwin Portage" is not suitable for a mainstream user
20 distribution, it was chosen to change the direction towards "Gentoo
21 Portage for Mac OS X" [PREFIXED PROJECT], to enable Gentoo's Mac OS X
22 project to continue and innovate again.
23 ...
24 but large investments are not being done, unless they are directly
25 reusable in the prefixed environment."
26
27 ^-- Whatever you call it, it appears you've officially chosen to focus
28 on the prefixed path. Good news to me, as a working prefixed system
29 is what I've been waiting for for over a year now. (Last December
30 pvdabeel was saying he working on a prototype that should be usable in
31 January....then February, then maybe March, then he disappeared.)
32
33 I appreciate the labels+definitions for the alternatives. That makes
34 it loads easier to refer to things and have some reasonable hope that
35 others will understand what you're referring to.
36
37 > The page should fill a gap in the explanation of our road ahead, and my
38 > vision on the plcament of various things. Comments are welcome, both
39 > text-wise as content-wise. The document efforts might be re-used at a
40 > later stage on Gentoo/Alt level. I chose to put it in our garden,
41 > because the focus of development comes from our team at the moment.
42
43 Actually, the page quite admirably explained the past, the
44 alternatives, and why the present focus is (rightly) turning towards
45 prefixed efforts. The future ("road ahead") wasn't really explicitly
46 mentioned. I'd welcome a tentative future timeline at the bottom of
47 the doc, if possible. The common question outside of the core dev
48 team seems to be "When will there be something that works that I can
49 use [and/or contribute to]?"
50
51 ~ Nathan
54 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list