From: "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:28:33
1 >> >Problem is that one folder is not enough, because you still need
2 >> >access to
3 >> >the "classic" Unix hierarchy (/usr/bin, /bin, /sbin).
4 >> >Perhaps you also want to use two or more prefixes.
5 >> Hm.. but why? I'd use symlinks eg. /usr/bin/wc -> /opt/gentoo/bin/wc,
6 >> what resolves those problems.
9 This may be a problem if /usr/bin/wc is already an executable provided by
10 MacOSX
11
12 > Or what about a Framework?
13
14 Care to elaborate?
15
16 > Is it really possible to find any executable without path resolution?
17 > Only ./myapp doesn't require the shell to use the $PATH variable, but
18 > does use the current (absolute) path ($CWD) in order to start the myapp
19 > binary.
20
21 You still can do an explicit /usr/bin/wc
24 > Using "#!/usr/bin/env perl" in a script instead of "#!/usr/bin/perl"
25 > allows perl to be in any location in the path environment.
28 I am not really interested in finding perl, but instead the executable I
29 want to call (/usr/bin/wc in this case)
30 Besides, if I do a "#!/usr/bin/env perl", I may find the MacOSX provided
31 Perl, not the Perl I installed via Gentoo.
32 Somehow defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
33
34 Regards
35 Dirk
38 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list