From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Package testing -- Automated initiative
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:16:53
1 Finn Thain wrote:
2 >> When everything goes fine, no email notification is being sent out. A
3 >> convenient log structure would, however, make it possible to see which
4 >> packages and USE-flag combinations successfully passed through.
5 >> Providing this log via a web-page would be a useful thing.
6 >
7 > Would tinderbox help?
8
9 As far as I know about tinderbox, it is more than just a building
10 system. It is a complete procedure where the tree is being closed
11 during compilation time, then only reopened when everything compiles.
14 >> - Comments are welcome, as well as expressions of worry on my mental state.
15 >
16 > Good thinking!
17 >
18 > The chroot idea is a good one because the process lends itself to
19 > parallelism. That is, you might have one test box/chroot for, (maybe in
20 > order of importance)
21 >
22 > - unstable empty tree (all deps every time)
23 > - stable empty tree builds (same)
24 > - unstable cumulative tree builds
25 > - stable cumulative tree builds
26
27 This is indeed a good plan, as this allows some more responsive and
28 thorough testing to occur next to each other.
29
30 > I see the last ones as being fairly important, because the cumulative
31 > (emerge -Du) trees will have the best throughput, for quicky finding any
32 > glaring, slap-forehead kind of bugs/bad keywords (i.e. low fruit).
33 >
34 > The cumulative tree machines would also be an efficient choice for your
35 > reverse-dependency idea (perhaps to only one level of indirection).
36
37 Good points, thanks!
40 Fabian Groffen
41 eBuild && Porting