From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Some Introduction
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:33:35
1 Kito wrote:
2 > Yeah, again I'm not saying overwriting files is the way to go. I'm not
3 > sure how much more clear I can be on that. I'm saying installing things
4 > to / and trying to avoid overwriting files is not a good idea.
5 >
6 > So, again, just to make sure I'm being understood, installing to an
7 > alternate prefix, i.e. /gentoo, /usr/local, /opt, whatever, is the way
8 > to go and make portage a viable tool for OS X users. As Finn pointed out
9 > in earlier mails, not using a prefix like Fink and DarwinPorts was never
10 > a strategic decision, but a practical one. Its all that portage knew how
11 > to do.
12 >
13 > Now, as far as portage having knowledge about what software is
14 > installed...if it lived in its own prefix, that wouldn't be an issue, as
15 > all package dependencies would be handled and installed by portage,
16 > avoiding linking against OS X system libs as much as possible. This
17 > would make it possible for instance to have /gentoo on say an external
18 > drive that could be mounted and used on virtually any Mac OSX system,
19 > regardless of system updates, etc.
20 >
21 > That being said, I feel like the name for such a tool shouldn't be
22 > called 'Gentoo for OS X', as thats a very misleading name which seems to
23 > cause a lot of confusion amongst users and developers alike. A much more
24 > apt title IMHO would be 'Portage for Mac OS X', and leave the title
25 > 'Gentoo for Mac OS X' for the profiles that actually manage system files.
26
27 Amen! Couldn't agree more.
30 Fabian Groffen
31 eBuild && Porting