From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] on stable and unstable ppc-macos
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:39:09
I'm not interested at all in this bug in specific, I'm interested in the
visions on using ~ppc-macos vs ppc-macos.

If you keyword ~ppc-macos should you be on a completely ~ppc-macos
system, or does a ppc-macos system also hold?

I agree with you that portage should deal with it, and if I understood
Finn correctly, I think he thinks like me, that most users will use a
ppc-macos system and occasionaly use a ~ppc-macos package.

My current setup is equal to this: my base install is ppc-macos and I
test ~ppc-macos packages against that.  Portage pulls whatever it needs
for each package I test/keyword.  I argue that I simulate a 'user'
system this way.  However, if some devs think you can only keyword
~ppc-macos on a fully ~ppc-macos system, then I better stop, which I
will until this is straightened out.  The reason why this is brought up
now, is because there is a package which doesn't compile on a ppc-macos
system, but does on a ~ppc-macos system, because the output of emerge
-ep system is different for {,~}ppc-macos.

I still think that this difference in emerge -ep system is the actual
problem, but I want to be very sure that my setup is accepted, which it
apparently is not at the moment.  Hence, I won't move a repoman commit

-- Fabian Groffen Gentoo for Mac OS X -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list