From: Nathan <nathan.stocks@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Arch Testing Policy and Procedures
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:36:13
1 I'm not a _gentoo_ dev, so I'm not sure if my input here is welcome.
2 If it's not, feel free to stop reading now :-)
3
4 > ...I like to
5 > point at the literature. Think of some big management gurus, like
6 > Mintzberg (could I mention another name instantly?), Davenport, etc.
7 > they all say the same: a lead (or manager) is assingned from above, and
8 > comes from a herd the to be lead herd is not familiar with. In other
9 > words: yes, we are in need of a lead, but he or she will come from
10 > another team. For example a senior dev from the mips or whatever herd.
11
12 This may be true in the short run for large corporations in an
13 unfeeling 'command and control' structure. In the long run, I don't
14 believe it's better for anyone. I've never been one to be influenced
15 by Big Management Gurus(TM) or their short-sighted, self-serving
16 doctrines. (Their visionary, selfless doctrines are okay though)
17
18 Lets run through your logic:
19
20 > Ok, why you say, simple. Noone will accept a lead from his/hers own
21 > team.
22
23 Proof to the contrary: I've been on several small volunteer teams.
24 In my experience, a lead selected by general consensus (or elections)
25 is accepted by all except the most immature people who tend to have
26 pre-existing personal grudges against the lead.
27
28 > Simple as that. It works like that in the real world.
29
30 Perhaps with nasty corporate cultures and/or immature people. In my
31 experience, gentoo devs seem to be rather mature, and I've not felt
32 oppressed by the gentoo culture yet.
33
34 > It's hard
35 > for the lead and hard for the people to be lead.
36
37 The best followers lead the leader with the best suggestions. The
38 best leader follows the best suggestions of his followers. I work
39 where I do now because I CHOSE my boss. If some jerk were appointed
40 in his place (project manager over development), I would be outta
41 there quicker than a flash. I would be ok promoting someone from
42 within the team, or hiring an outsider that we all like (non-jerk
43 variety).
44
45 > Hard because you used
46 > to be on the same level, and had chats/whatever on the works as being a
47 > 'worker', now suddenly that co-worker is going to tell you what to do.
48 > And maybe you don't like it.
49
50 _Assuming_ the lead has no tyrannical powers to force everyone to
51 obey their every whim (I looked for Gentoo documentation on team
52 organization and responsibilities, but couldn't find it.), there
53 shouldn't be much to worry about. Assuming (again-sorry, where are
54 those docs?) that a Gentoo lead consists of mostly extra
55 responsibilities, and not of extra sticks to beat people with, being a
56 lead tends to be more of a 'character building chore' for the lead
57 than anything else.
58
59 > You used to be able to have arguments, now
60 > you're just supposed to cooperate.
61
62 If Gentoo policies _really_ say that you have to Unquestioningly Obey
63 The Lead In All Things(TM), then I will swiftly disassociate myself
64 with all things Gentoo. Do you really think Hasan and/or Lina are
65 going to turn into earless monsters if they jointly become 'the lead'?
66
67 None of the above is intended to be rude or offensive--so please don't
68 take it that way!
69
70 ~ Nathan S.
71 (An almost-user waiting for non-root installs before taking the plunge)
74 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list