Gentoo Archives: gentoo-osx

From: Nathan <nathan.stocks@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Arch Testing Policy and Procedures
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:36:13
Message-Id: 96c9d6a805090610352050ecc6@mail.gmail.com
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-osx] Arch Testing Policy and Procedures by Grobian
I'm not a _gentoo_ dev, so I'm not sure if my input here is welcome. 
If it's not, feel free to stop reading now  :-)

> ...I like to > point at the literature. Think of some big management gurus, like > Mintzberg (could I mention another name instantly?), Davenport, etc. > they all say the same: a lead (or manager) is assingned from above, and > comes from a herd the to be lead herd is not familiar with. In other > words: yes, we are in need of a lead, but he or she will come from > another team. For example a senior dev from the mips or whatever herd.
This may be true in the short run for large corporations in an unfeeling 'command and control' structure. In the long run, I don't believe it's better for anyone. I've never been one to be influenced by Big Management Gurus(TM) or their short-sighted, self-serving doctrines. (Their visionary, selfless doctrines are okay though) Lets run through your logic:
> Ok, why you say, simple. Noone will accept a lead from his/hers own > team.
Proof to the contrary: I've been on several small volunteer teams. In my experience, a lead selected by general consensus (or elections) is accepted by all except the most immature people who tend to have pre-existing personal grudges against the lead.
> Simple as that. It works like that in the real world.
Perhaps with nasty corporate cultures and/or immature people. In my experience, gentoo devs seem to be rather mature, and I've not felt oppressed by the gentoo culture yet.
> It's hard > for the lead and hard for the people to be lead.
The best followers lead the leader with the best suggestions. The best leader follows the best suggestions of his followers. I work where I do now because I CHOSE my boss. If some jerk were appointed in his place (project manager over development), I would be outta there quicker than a flash. I would be ok promoting someone from within the team, or hiring an outsider that we all like (non-jerk variety).
> Hard because you used > to be on the same level, and had chats/whatever on the works as being a > 'worker', now suddenly that co-worker is going to tell you what to do. > And maybe you don't like it.
_Assuming_ the lead has no tyrannical powers to force everyone to obey their every whim (I looked for Gentoo documentation on team organization and responsibilities, but couldn't find it.), there shouldn't be much to worry about. Assuming (again-sorry, where are those docs?) that a Gentoo lead consists of mostly extra responsibilities, and not of extra sticks to beat people with, being a lead tends to be more of a 'character building chore' for the lead than anything else.
> You used to be able to have arguments, now > you're just supposed to cooperate.
If Gentoo policies _really_ say that you have to Unquestioningly Obey The Lead In All Things(TM), then I will swiftly disassociate myself with all things Gentoo. Do you really think Hasan and/or Lina are going to turn into earless monsters if they jointly become 'the lead'? None of the above is intended to be rude or offensive--so please don't take it that way! ~ Nathan S. (An almost-user waiting for non-root installs before taking the plunge) -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list

Replies

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-osx] Arch Testing Policy and Procedures Grobian <grobian@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-osx] Arch Testing Policy and Procedures Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>