From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:00:51
1 On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Grobian wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 12:54:53AM -0500, Kito wrote:
4 >
5 > > basically the proving ground for the portage base-system packages.
6 > > Its also whats used for Darwin development, as building Darwin system
7 > > packages requires a heavily modified OS X environment. I don't plan on
8 > > deprecating it at all, if you feel strongly otherwise, maybe you
9 > > should split the profiles up (again) and let the collision-protect
10 > > profiles that install packages to / (non-prefixed) live in profiles/
11 > > default-macos and leave profiles/default-darwin for, well, darwin.
12 >
13 > I would think that the current default-macos profiles should get
14 > deprecated somehow in their current form and replaced by a prefix
15 > thing...
16 >
17 > For me, non-collision-protect stuff is dangerous/progressive. By using
18 > a prefix, a lot of (if not all of) the collision-protect issues should
19 > go away (like with fink for example), hence if you then still want
20 > something progressive, it will mean something else to me like it means
21 > to me now. It will be a misunderstanding from my side, but a separation
22 > of alt/darwin and alt/macos might be approriate at that stage, since
23 > progressive/darwin then clearly has not the sole purpose to extend and
24 > enrich an Apple OSX install.
25
26 A progressive system should be able to use ppc-macos ebuilds. But, if the
27 ppc-macos people only want to support a pure Apple root domain (the one
28 with prefix /), then progressive work cannot come under alt/macos, and has
29 to be a seperate alt/darwin project with its own "ppc-darwin" keyword.
30
31 But, before alt/macos abandons support for an alt/darwin root prefix, it
32 is worth noting that package.provided works best if you are only injecting
33 darwin packages. That argument will hopefully become less relevant once
34 you can dep on vendor packages.
35
36 > Sounds more like progressive wants to build a Darwin system (perhaps
37 > even kernel) with portage as package manager. This is completely cool,
38 > but not my cup of tea, and a whole new definition of progressive to me.
39 > So maybe we should start a new thread on what progressive actually
40 > means/is? :)
41
42 IMHO trying to define progressive or conservative would be futile until we
43 get to play with the portage rewrite (domains and prefixes).
44
45 -f
46 --
47 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list