From: Cap'n Hector <me@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Current status
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 06:15:32
1 On Jul 30, 2005, at 10:41 PM, Hasan Khalil wrote:
2
3 >> Tell an apple support rep you have installed custom software in /
4 >> System and /usr and let me know the response ;) hint: have your OS
5 >> X install media handy
8 > Been there, done that. They didn't say anything about having to
9 > reinstall. To tell the truth, they treated me better once they knew
10 > I wasn't another Dumb User(tm). Only done it once, though, so I may
11 > have just been lucky. Please share any relevant personal
12 > experiences you have.
13
14 Well, I can't speak for other users, but I find myself reinstalling
15 my system fairly often…Pretty much wiping /System, /usr, /private, /etc…
16
17 I do a bunch of SW testing, so I need to archive/install fairly
18 commonly.
19
20 And as someone who knows a bunch of AppleCare reps, you won't get
21 much, if any, sympathy if you've installed stuff in the system
22 directories, and would be more likely to get archived because that
23 (rightly or wrongly) has the potential to break stuff.
24
25 I know I've kept using Fink in place of Gentoo-OSX because fink uses /
26 sw.
27
28 Cap'n Hector

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature