From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: Documentation Update
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:24:58
On Sun, August 21, 2005 18:56, Hasan Khalil wrote:
> > On Aug 21, 2005, at 07:11, Grobian wrote: > >> I would propose to require the latest and greatest for both >> supported platforms > > Done. Thanks for pointing this out. >
Another thing that crossed my mind when going to work this morning: When people submit bugs for working/new packages, they usually tell it works fine, or in some cases that they applied a little patch to get it working. However, before even thinking of keywording, I want to know whether the package reasonably works. That means, I want to do some small sanity check, or just functional check that the application or library appears to work as expected. I think you cannot expect any dev to know every package in portage, let alone being common with using it. So I'd propose to add a little note on the "reporting bugs" section that asks the users to -- if they can come up with it: 1) in case of an application tell us how you can test it works: example, streamripper, do streamripper path/to/bla.mp3, listen to the mp3, it appears to work fine 2) in case of a library tell us what application can be used to test it, preferable small and direct: example, libpcre, emerge mp with USE flag pcre, start mp on a file, press Ctrl-a navigate in the menu to search, type a regular expression search like .(build|merge|keyword)+, check it matches an appropriate string -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: Documentation Update "Mike Z." <shootingstar@×××××××××.au>