From: Armando Di Cianno <armando@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] USERLAND thoughts for gentoo on osx
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:07:52
Please ignore that I c&p'd this from my irc client window.  I
realized leaving little messages on #gentoo-osx isn't the best way to
get in touch with people! ;-)  Please find my ramblings below.

fafhrd: anyone out there see my message on this channel yesterday?
[3:00pm] fafhrd: I'm curious about what others feel the "right"
userland for gentoo/portage on osx is
[3:00pm] fafhrd: meaning, sure, we need to deal with
USERLAND="BSD" (or "Darwin" as it were) when we bootstrap
[3:01pm] fafhrd: but, after that, can't the equivalent of `emerge
sysem -e` be run to basically free the libraries from linking against
the base system?
[3:01pm] fafhrd: anyways, this all started because the current
bootstrap-prefix script attempts to build Apple's gcc, which fails,
but gnu gcc builds fine for me
[3:02pm] fafhrd: so I'd like to get some consensus about what kind of
USERLAND we're aiming for, as I keep hacking on this stuff
[3:02pm] fafhrd: personally, I'd like to move towards building it's
own internal GNU style USERLAND
[3:02pm] fafhrd: as I have no urge to follow Apple willy nilly
[3:02pm] fafhrd: thoughts?