From: Armando Di Cianno <armando@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] USERLAND thoughts for gentoo on osx
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:07:52
1 Please ignore that I c&p'd this from my irc client window. I
2 realized leaving little messages on #gentoo-osx isn't the best way to
3 get in touch with people! ;-) Please find my ramblings below.
4
5 __armando
6
7 fafhrd: anyone out there see my message on this channel yesterday?
8 [3:00pm] fafhrd: I'm curious about what others feel the "right"
9 userland for gentoo/portage on osx is
10 [3:00pm] fafhrd: meaning, sure, we need to deal with
11 USERLAND="BSD" (or "Darwin" as it were) when we bootstrap
12 [3:01pm] fafhrd: but, after that, can't the equivalent of `emerge
13 sysem -e` be run to basically free the libraries from linking against
14 the base system?
15 [3:01pm] fafhrd: anyways, this all started because the current
16 bootstrap-prefix script attempts to build Apple's gcc, which fails,
17 but gnu gcc builds fine for me
18 [3:02pm] fafhrd: so I'd like to get some consensus about what kind of
19 USERLAND we're aiming for, as I keep hacking on this stuff
20 [3:02pm] fafhrd: personally, I'd like to move towards building it's
21 own internal GNU style USERLAND
22 [3:02pm] fafhrd: as I have no urge to follow Apple willy nilly
23 [3:02pm] fafhrd: thoughts?
24 --
25 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list