From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] OSX version
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 20:44:18
Nick Dimiduk wrote:
> Just because we know something builds on Tiger does not mean it builds > on Panther. We know that. Which is why I think we need a better way to > further clarify compatibility of ebuilds (better than package.mask). I > don't want to keyword something on my Tiger system and have it break > someone's Panther system.
Good point. I have a Panther machine, but I must admit that I do not test everything on that machine. In that sense it would be nice if there were ppc-macos-10.3 and ppc-macos-10.4 keywords, as well as ppc-macos-progressive.
> We claim support for Panther. Have we ever > officially supported Tiger? Did we ever decide to focus on one release > over the other? Do we test both systems before a keyword?
All valid points to me! (to which I don't have concrete answers) My opinion would be that we cannot claim to have something if there is noone that maintains it. I think this would effectively mean that 10.3 would be unsupported, or I would have to let my Panther box working very hard, but then I need my auto-testing idea to work, because I don't want to do it manual.
> I'd also like to point out that just because a package builds doesn't > mean it works. Was it tested? Did it come with testing facilities? Do > the tests pass on both Tiger and Panther?
Normally, something first need to be tested. In this case I haven't. Maybe I'd better just give you the patches and let you deal with the bug instead of committing it. My bad, I was in doubt here, and reasoned that I didn't change anything to the code effectively.
> Do we have a QA person? I've been away for a while, but I thought we > had solutions to many of these problems before I went AWOL.
As you might have noticed, I'm some sort of new. I just reacted to your mail to the best of my knowledge, which isn't that much in the end. I'm interested in the answers to your questions also. At the moment I don't feel very comfortable and safe in doing what I do. This is mainly because of the many risks there are as you descibed here, I think. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo for Mac OS X -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-osx] OSX version Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@g.o>