From: Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] OSX version
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 01:53:57
1 Grobian wrote:
2 > Good point. I have a Panther machine, but I must admit that I do not
3 > test everything on that machine. In that sense it would be nice if
4 > there were ppc-macos-10.3 and ppc-macos-10.4 keywords, as well as
5 > ppc-macos-progressive.
6
7 I think the cascaded profiles work well for standard vs. progressive
8 installs. It would be quite the fight to get a new keyword for this
9 sort of thing... I'd like to think there's a better solution than a
10 keyword.
11
12 > My opinion would be that we cannot claim to have something if there is
13 > noone that maintains it. I think this would effectively mean that 10.3
14 > would be unsupported, or I would have to let my Panther box working very
15 > hard, but then I need my auto-testing idea to work, because I don't want
16 > to do it manual.
17
18 Maybe we need to start the process of acquiring a suite of test
19 machines? Dual-booting may also be an option for some of us.
20
21 > Normally, something first need to be tested. In this case I haven't.
22 > Maybe I'd better just give you the patches and let you deal with the bug
23 > instead of committing it. My bad, I was in doubt here, and reasoned
24 > that I didn't change anything to the code effectively.
25
26 No worries. I'm very much still learning as well. As far as I know,
27 the only package which uses this particular library is dev-lisp/clisp
28 and I'm the only user who cares about the package. If you broke
29 something, you'll have me to answer to! :p
30
31 > As you might have noticed, I'm some sort of new.
32 ...
33 > At the moment I don't feel very comfortable and safe in doing what I do.
34 > This is mainly because of the many risks there are as you descibed
35 > here, I think.
36
37 This is a community supported project kept afloat by the spare time of
38 people like yourself, j4rgon, and kito. The bottom line is no one has
39 taken the time to work out a solution to these kinds of problems (and
40 maybe there is no good solution) so new people rightly feel lost. I
41 still feel quite lost myself. I like to ask (good) questions in the
42 hopes that they will encourage fruitful discussion. I don't have any
43 answers but I'd be honored to work with other devs and the community to
44 come up with good solutions.
45 --
46 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list