From: "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:48:57
1 >>>> Hm.. but why? I'd use symlinks eg. /usr/bin/wc -> /opt/gentoo/bin/
2 >>>> wc,
3 >>>> what resolves those problems.
4 >>>
5 >>
6 >> This may be a problem if /usr/bin/wc is already an executable
7 >> provided by
8 >> MacOSX
9 >>
10 >>> Or what about a Framework?
11 >>
12 >> Care to elaborate?
13 >
14 > Linking /usr/bin/wc into PREFIX root of Gentoo Portage, we dont hurt
15 > OSX.
16
17 if /usr/bin/wc was not created by Apple/MacOSX, there is no need to
18 actually link to /opt/portage (or wherever). This already works and is the
19 status quo (prefix-less Gentoo).
20 If /usr/bin/wc was created by Apple/MacOSX, by creating the link you
21 override system behaviour, and therefore hurt OSX.
22
23 Or do I miss something obvious?
24
25 Regards