From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o, gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: [gentoo-alt] ppc-macos est mort, vive ppc-macos?
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:33:38
On 14-09-2006 13:19:06 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> I htought about this a while before answering, because at first I wasn't > really sure what to answer. > > On Monday 11 September 2006 21:50, Grobian wrote: > > Is ppc-macos a phoenix, that reborns from its own ashes? Would be nice, > > but I think not entirely. With the ppc-macos team going down from once > > 17 to now 2 people, of which one actively supporting the main tree, and > > that one person being me, I feel I'm done with it now. ppc-macos in the > > tree as it is now is going to die, unless someone steps up to maintain > > it. I personally, am done with it, in the form it is, which is more > > trouble than happyness sometimes. > I understand how you feel, this is not exactly a clean situation or an easy > one. > And I already told you before that this would happen whenever prefix would > have been stable enough. Unfortunately you not only hidden prefix from most > of the possible users/developers, but also never provided a status to the > other fellow developers :/
You know this is pretty not so true. We did a GWN message on it, and got a lot of shit on that back. Also fellow developers, which I talked to (even gave a presentation on it) in Kranzberg and Brussels on Gentoo meetings never showed any interest nor excitement. Well, have to be honest, one or two did, but not the kind of really getting the hands dirty.
> > For me, the proof is there. It is "done". I greatly feel > > innovations have no place within Gentoo, which is the biggest cause for > > it's big decay. > As I said, you've hidden it, you "stole" it from the eyes of who needed to > know about it, and now you're stuck in having to bring it in again, slowly, > so that it can become the norm. It is bureaucracy mostly? Yes. Could have > been avoided? Unlikely. Could have been solved more easily? Sure.
You know pretty well how much I am put outside of the game. Though I understand your opinion on this, my role in this case was clearly pretty much done after "it". Not to mention that basically everything/everyone that was involved in "it" died afterwards, left, or considers leaving pretty soon, feeling all got worse, instead of better. But, to try and get some of the positive stuff out of your email, I consider posting something to -dev or -core. However, I'm all but motivated to do this, as well as clueless how to put it down. Basically I am not really waiting on the "yay let's finally remove the ppc-macos keyword from the tree" fests. I guess they can also do that without me. So maybe you have some ideas on that. Maybe off-list is better suited. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: [gentoo-alt] ppc-macos est mort, vive ppc-macos? "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>