From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] On keywording ppc-macos
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:23:50
1 On Aug 24, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
5 > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Kito wrote:
6 >
7 >>> I don't think it likely that apple will open source Mac OS X (or
8 >>> eleven, or even system seven). I mean, is it likely that a macos
9 >>> profile could ever be anything but second fiddle?
10 >>
11 >> The progressive profile already is, and getting moreso as it matures.
12 >> fex it can/will be used to merge macos components from Apple
13 >> installation media. So it is in fact handling the compilation of the
14 >> 'bsd' portion of OS X from source as well as managing the proprietary
15 >> libs and tools like CoreAudio, XCode, etc. This way, packages can do
16 >> things like "DEPEND='>=dev-util/xcode2.1
17 >>> =media-sound/coreaudio'" and so on. So used in this manner,
18 >>> portage is
19 >> anything but a second class citizen as everything in / is in fact
20 >> managed by portage.
21 >
22 > What I'm saying is that you cannot build Mac OS X, Apple will not
23 > permit
24 > that. If you wan't to install X Code, you have to script apple's
25 > installer
26 > to do it. That is 2nd fiddle.
27
28 Erm, no. It installs by extracting the files from the installation
29 media similar to how other closed source software is installed via
30 portage, doom, UTK2004, vmware, etc. Maybe we have different ideas of
31 what 'second-fiddle' means. I interpret that as portage existing on a
32 system with a specified set of fake deps in package.provided. IMHO
33 portage is not second fiddle when it manages all files on the system.
36 >> Even once prefixed installs are available I intend to continue
37 >> development in this area to facilitate extremely minimal OS X
38 >> installs
39 >> for specialized applications.
40 >
41 > I applaud this. But I think calling that profile "macos" is a
42 > misnomer.
43
44 Where do you draw the line? If during a macos install I choose not to
45 install all options available is it no longer macos proper? Macos to
46 me implies CoreFoundation, Quartz, and Aqua. Tons of other closed-
47 source frameworks make up MacOS as well of course, but if you add
48 CoreFoundation, Quartz, and Aqua to a Darwin system, its macos IMHO.
49
50 > That's why I suggested calling upstream darwin, "ppc-darwin". The fact
51 > that it isn't called macos doesn't imply macos and macos packages
52 > cannot
53 > be supported on it.
54
55 The default-darwin profile is just that, though not currently a valid
56 profile with its own keyword, but all macos profiles inherit from
57 that. If you have a Darwin system with the closed source macos libs
58 installed, its no longer Darwin as it tends to all come back to the
59 difference between CoreFoundation(macos) and CF-Lite(Darwin/
60 OpenDarwin). I think I see what you are saying, I just don't agree :p
61 Anyway you look at it its all rather semantical, but needs to be
62 addressed nonetheless.
63
64 Of course, when apple finally gets fed up with the warez kiddies
65 running OS X on greybox crap and stops doing source releases, this
66 will all become irrelevant anyway :p
69 > -f
70 >
71 >> --Kito
72 >>
73 >>>
74 >>> -f
75 >>>
76 >>>>
77 >>>>>
78 >>>>> I suspect the whole question goes away when portage gets
79 >>>>> prefixes. So my
80 >>>>> post was probably just noise. Sorry.
81 >>>>>
82 >>>>> -f
83 >>>>> --
84 >>>>> gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list