From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: [RFC] Separate alt-prefix repo for base-system packages.
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 03:26:38
1 Sidenote, no need to cc, just joined the ml for the discussion in the
2 meantime since people occasionally forget to cc (I know I do).
3
4 On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 01:09:49PM +1000, Finn Thain wrote:
5 > > I'm not sure I agree. I think this gets too close to a package.provided
6 > > situation, portage will never know enough about another systems packages
7 > > to map their functionality to its own. I think its preferable to let
8 > > portage handle what it knows first hand before trying to force it data
9 > > from a foreign host.
10 >
11 > I'm not proposing that one "injects" non-identical packages under the same
12 > names. Actually, I have been against that since the beginning.
13 >
14 > I was thinking of something like, at run time, query the vendor package
15 > manager and use the result to populate the tree with packages like
16 > vendor-apple/sys-devel/xcode-1.5, vendor-sun/app-arch/cpio-x.y.z for
17 > example (please substitute sgi, bsd-ports, redhat or debian etc if you are
18 > hostile to any of my examples).
19 >
20 > Apple's XCode is closed source, and sun's cpio is now open. The former
21 > requires an ebuild to invoke installer(8), the latter requires an ebuild
22 > to build it from source. No-one is lying to portage here.
23 >
24 > And, if sys-apps/bsd-awk-x.y.z builds the same thing that apple ships, it
25 > can provide vendor-apple/sys-apps/bsd-awk.
26 >
27 > Also, the ebuilds for both vendor-apple/sys-apps/bsd-awk and
28 > sys-apps/bsd-awk should provide virtual/awk. So, when arbitrary ebuild foo
29 > wants generic awk (doesn't care about gnu extensions), it can depend on
30 > that virtual (unless virtuals are to be deprecated, in which case foo
31 > somehow has to depend on any vendor, including gentoo).
32 The rewrite's domain's abstraction (additionally the goal of binding
33 the resolver to the domain, and being able to do inter-domain
34 resolving) would allow for this, but I *really* don't think it'll work
35 well.
36
37 Reasoning is, how do you know that pkg xyz is actually the package
38 you're after? The expanded restrictions subsystem, specifically
39 ability to depends based on contents restrictions (I want the pkg that
40 owns file abc essentially) gives basic ability for this, but it
41 doesn't cover the abi angle.
42
43 What you're proposing could sort of be hacked together to pull off
44 strictly for src compiles, probably with a good collection of
45 impossible to quash annoying bugs. Doing it for binaries is a helluva
46 lot harder though. :)
47
48 > > >IMHO, this sounds like a "gentoo-darwin" sub-project to gentoo-alt,
49 > > >along-side os x and bsd. It isn't really a fork except in as much as
50 > > >the profile arrangement doesn't really accomodate work on darwin proper
51 > > >(but then the profile arrangemnet is flawed anyway: it only exists this
52 > > >way because of the package.provided crutch).
53 > >
54 > > I was looking at it more as a place to develop some new portage
55 > > features...Gentoo/Darwin has always been lurking, this is more in the
56 > > area of just getting offsets working.
57 >
58 > OK, I see what you are getting at now. That was something that I failed to
59 > infer from the email you forwarded to the list. Most of what I said in
60 > reply isn't very relevant to that. Excepting that, if you can leverage
61 > existing packages, prefixed installs are much more useful -- having a
62 > complete set of deps installed on a prefix is not much better than a
63 > stage3 chroot with your home directory bind mounted below it.
64
65 The rewrite's general core is intended to allow for alt
66 formats/repos/whatever jammed into it; that said, making seperate
67 formats play nice with each other (unless they can natively) isn't
68 something I think is incredibly easy to pull off, as mentioned above.
69
70 Thoughts?
71 ~harring