From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: Stefaan <stefaan@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] Re: openafs on macos, wrt bug #100625
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:15:45
1 Stefaan wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I hope you excuse my private e-mail, but I thought it unfriendly to
5 > bother all the platforms in CC with this.
6
7 don't worry, I'll CC the gentoo-osx list. Maybe someone else has some
8 better ideas/input.
9
10 > I've just found a machine with powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0 (I hope that
11 > falls under gentoo-ppc-macos?).
12
13 Yes, officially Darwin 7 (Panther) and 8 (Tiger) are supported.
14
15 > I have an account on it, but I don't
16 > think its owner will appreciate even the question whether I can
17 > install gentoo in a chroot on it.
18
19 I don't think so. Though I'm not really sure. Please beware that
20 Gentoo/OSX is very different to the other "Gentoos" in the sense that it
21 is more "Portage on top of OSX". This means we rely on OSX's tools
22 where possible. A side effect from this, is that Portage does not have
23 full control over all of the software that it 'knows' about. It is
24 currently a complex issue, and I won't bother you with ongoing
25 discussions and problems.
26
27 > I was able to get openafs to compile. I however do realize that
28 > init-scripts etc. will probably be totally different, as module
30 > an working ebuild, it does seem that adapting the current one to
31 > support this platform is quite doable.
32
33 I didn't even try to hack the ebuild to start compilation. I suspect
34 that there might be something possible to compile, but to use it with
35 Gentoo, it would require big modifications to the ebuilds. If it would
36 be able to run anyway. I don't know if there is OpenAFS in OSX by default.
37
38 In the light of all these problems, I propose to keep openafs
39 unkeyworded for ppc-macos for now. As soon as someone reports a bug
40 that it doesn't work or that it does but with a patch etc. via Bugzilla,
41 I'd like to invest some time into it. I suspect that noone really needs
42 it on the current ppc-macos portage, and that 'porting' this ebuild will
43 be considerably easier in a next generation of Gentoo/OSX. Hence, I'd
44 like to save us lots of work for now ;)
45
46 Please someone from the list, respond in either way on my proposal here
47 to have some more weight into this discussion.
50 Fabian Groffen
51 Gentoo for Mac OS X
52 --
53 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list