From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Arch Testing Policy and Procedures
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:14:07
1 Nathan wrote:
2 > I'm not a _gentoo_ dev, so I'm not sure if my input here is welcome.
3 > If it's not, feel free to stop reading now :-)
4
5 I consider it welcome.
6
7 >> ...I like to
8 >> point at the literature. Think of some big management gurus, like
9 >> Mintzberg (could I mention another name instantly?), Davenport, etc.
10 [snip]
11 >
12 > This may be true in the short run for large corporations in an
13 > unfeeling 'command and control' structure. In the long run, I don't
14 > believe it's better for anyone. I've never been one to be influenced
15 > by Big Management Gurus(TM) or their short-sighted, self-serving
16 > doctrines. (Their visionary, selfless doctrines are okay though)
17
18 On the contrary, their logic is used on the long run. Though I can
19 agree with you that their methodology might seem a bit overdone here.
20 I'll explain lateron why I brought it up.
21
22 > Lets run through your logic:
23 >
24 >> Ok, why you say, simple. Noone will accept a lead from his/hers own
25 >> team.
26 >
27 > Proof to the contrary: I've been on several small volunteer teams.
28 > In my experience, a lead selected by general consensus (or elections)
29 > is accepted by all except the most immature people who tend to have
30 > pre-existing personal grudges against the lead.
31
32 yes, correct*.
35 >> Simple as that. It works like that in the real world.
36 >
37 > Perhaps with nasty corporate cultures and/or immature people. In my
38 > experience, gentoo devs seem to be rather mature, and I've not felt
39 > oppressed by the gentoo culture yet.
40
41 Yes, correct*.
42
43 >> It's hard
44 >> for the lead and hard for the people to be lead.
45 >
46 > The best followers lead the leader with the best suggestions. The
47 > best leader follows the best suggestions of his followers. I work
48 > where I do now because I CHOSE my boss. If some jerk were appointed
49 > in his place (project manager over development), I would be outta
50 > there quicker than a flash. I would be ok promoting someone from
51 > within the team, or hiring an outsider that we all like (non-jerk
52 > variety).
53
54 Yes, correct*.
55
56 >> Hard because you used
57 >> to be on the same level, and had chats/whatever on the works as being a
58 >> 'worker', now suddenly that co-worker is going to tell you what to do.
59 >> And maybe you don't like it.
60 >
61 > _Assuming_ the lead has no tyrannical powers to force everyone to
62 > obey their every whim (I looked for Gentoo documentation on team
63 > organization and responsibilities, but couldn't find it.), there
64 > shouldn't be much to worry about. Assuming (again-sorry, where are
65 > those docs?) that a Gentoo lead consists of mostly extra
66 > responsibilities, and not of extra sticks to beat people with, being a
67 > lead tends to be more of a 'character building chore' for the lead
68 > than anything else.
69
70 Yes, correct*.
71
72 >> You used to be able to have arguments, now
73 >> you're just supposed to cooperate.
74 >
75 > If Gentoo policies _really_ say that you have to Unquestioningly Obey
76 > The Lead In All Things(TM), then I will swiftly disassociate myself
77 > with all things Gentoo. Do you really think Hasan and/or Lina are
78 > going to turn into earless monsters if they jointly become 'the lead'?
79
80 I hope, but I think you are correct*.
81
82 *) provided in the case that all is well and there just need to be some
83 structure.
84
85 I have the impression that a few major things *have* to be done. This
86 requires 'action' and taking discisions that probably not everyone is
87 going to be happy with. I feel especially the last one is required to
88 bring this project *any* further, because it appears to be stuck on
89 little details, while the big lines aren't even properly drawn. Hence
90 my rather business-like approach, which may be the horror vision for
91 anyone. Of course I do *not* prefer a situation where people can't be
92 free in what they want to do for the project. However, you cannot have
93 everybody doing not so much (or almost nothing) too. I don't think open
94 source and volunatary work means: "do whenever you feel like it". If
95 that would be the base, many things would not have been here around now.
96 You need people that are passionate, and devote some time to a project.
97 I don't want people to relate this sentence above to this team directly,
98 for I'm having a more general talk here.
99
100 If I read carefully between the lines of some very active (and sometimes
101 counsil) members, I hear this complaint. We see this complaint when
102 people leave the project with furious last words on about 300 devs and
103 noone testing package X.
104
105 In my opinion open source needs to be managed too, because if it isn't,
106 it doesn't move or innovate. The Gentoo counsil isn't just put there
107 for fun, they are clearly chosen to get Gentoo move again at certain
108 points. They will provide some management, to serve a higher purpose,
109 which is a long term one.
113 Fabian Groffen
114 Gentoo for Mac OS X
115 --