From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] OSX version
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 08:08:42
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Nick Dimiduk wrote:

> Grobian wrote: > > Good point. I have a Panther machine, but I must admit that I do not > > test everything on that machine. In that sense it would be nice if > > there were ppc-macos-10.3 and ppc-macos-10.4 keywords, as well as > > ppc-macos-progressive. > > I think the cascaded profiles work well for standard vs. progressive > installs. It would be quite the fight to get a new keyword for this sort > of thing... I'd like to think there's a better solution than a keyword.
I agree, and I'll reiterate my proposal, so that someone can finally shoot it down and I can shut up. I think the progressive profile should be replaced with an upstream darwin profile. A macos profile should inherit that and add a prefix. I don't think a macos keyword is actually needed. If you have a ppc-darwin8 keyword, the ppc-macos-10.4 profile could just inherit that and add a macos USE flag (for those ebuilds that work differently under macos than darwin). For that to work, you just need more dependency information in the ebuild (i.e. if you depend on CoreAudio, or some other part of macos not in darwin, it should be listed as a dep). As for how CoreAudio gets into the tree, you can keep using package.provided (one version in the profile for ppc-macos-10.4 and another in the profile for ppc-macos-10.3) until there is a way to detect vendor packages automatically. Most of this requires the portage rewrite. No idea what you should do until then. -f -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list