From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] On keywording ppc-macos
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:58:46
1 On Aug 24, 2005, at 3:51 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
4 > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Finn Thain wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Kito wrote:
7 >>
8 >>>
9 >>> On Aug 23, 2005, at 12:30 PM, Grobian wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>> On a somewhat related note, we need to decide sooner than later
12 >>> on how
13 >>> distinguish between the collision-protect and non-collision-
14 >>> protected
15 >>> profiles in ebuilds, as some things that are getting in the tree
16 >>> break
17 >>> with a proper gentoo environment, mostly auto{conf,make} issues
18 >>> at the
19 >>> moment (-a -c -f stuff, etc) , as well as python issues creeping
20 >>> up as
21 >>> well, but this will probably get more convoluted very shortly...
22 >
23 > [snip]
24 >>
25 >> Now, if an ebuild needs to know that it has "2nd class" status,
26 >> wouldn't a
27 >> use flag be appropriate? And if you were to implement such a use
28 >> flag,
29 >> could it not be useful to other second-class citizens? For
30 >> example, in
31 >> "portage for non-Gentoo Linux" or "portage for solaris" profiles.
32 >
33 > Actually, such a use flag is probably redundant. Isn't that what
34 > the the
35 > "macos" in "ppc-macos" is for?
36
37 Well, thats part of the problem. As Darwin is not self-hosting
38 currently, it requires a highly modified OS X environment(read:
39 progressive profile) to built it, and the progressive profile shares
40 the same keyword, *-macos, with the collision-protected profile.
41 Another keyword isn't really feasible, I was thinking more along the
42 lines of a variable added to the use-expand list in the profiles.
45 > I suspect the whole question goes away when portage gets prefixes.
46 > So my
47 > post was probably just noise. Sorry.
48 >
49 > -f
50 > --
51 > gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list