From: "Dirk Schönberger" <dirk.schoenberger@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:39:05
1 > How does the absense of a read-only file-system affect the ability to
2 > have a union-mount only 'visible' for a specific user or user-process?
3 > Or is this read-only thing necessary to solve another problem?
4 > Essential for the union-mount solution to work, is that it can at
5 > least be *only* visible/available for a given (user) process. Otherwise
6 > your system is less different from a progressive system. Still in that
7 > case, the union-mount solution might have some advantages, like simple
8 > repair, and a backup procedure (unmount the union-mount, or restart the
9 > machine -- assuming you didn't add the union-mount to fstab).
10
11 The idea seems to be that you have a "live" version of the host system (real
12 "/", which is mounted read-only and unioned with
13 a copy on write system).
14 Current Darwin only allows .dmg or mounting from an unmounted device. In
15 both cases the underlying system is
16 intrinsically read-only, i.e. the union fs is not really needed.
17 I don't think it is a good idea to unomount / remount read-only your root
18 file system.
19 If you clone a existing installation and mount this, I think you have
20 effectively a progressive system. This approach is mentioned in the
21 entoo-macos bootstrap howto.
22
23 That the union file system is visible to all processes becomes a secondary
24 problem (I think it just means that you could have only one parallel
25 Gentoo union / chroot)
26
27 The basic problem with the Darwin unionfs implementation is that you have to
28 have a (read-only) file system in the first place, which you can union to.
29 As far as I understand the Linux version (which may be only a wishlist entry
30 resp. a specification, you can do things like
31
32 mount folder1 read-only U folder2 read-only U folder 3 read-write (where U
33 is a concatenation operator)
34 The FreeBSD soltuins divides these usecases into the actual union (unionfs),
35 and the mount from a subfolder of a mounted deice (nullfs)
39 Regards
40 Dirk
45 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list