From: m h <sesquile@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] porting maxos port to posix (ala openpkg)
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 20:54:25
1 Thanks for the reply Grobian.
4 As far as I know, this path is envisioned but since I needs some large
5 > investments, there is not much to tell about when this is to come. It
6 > is in the line of development, however.
7 >
8 > To give you another 302, you might look around in the gentoo-portage
9 > list, because there this idea will be cooked. We OSXers will probably
10 > be the first ones to consume (use) it.
13 Yes, I have posted there yesterday, got redirected here, browsed around the
14 archives of osx and found some links back to dev "new glep draft: Portage as
15 a secondary package manager" (posted in may). This is what I want, and
16 wasn't sure if osx was pushing for this or the main portage devs were
17 driving this initiative (if anyone is).
18
19 According to you it would be developed in the main line, and osx will use
20 it, rather than osx developing it and pushing it back? I'm looking to get
21 some direction in this as I have a week or so to see if I can do anything
22 viable in that time, but would like some direction (am proficient in bash
23 and python but I'm not a portage developer just a longtime satisfied gentoo
24 consumer ;) ).
25
26 Maybe this helps a bit
29 Every little bit helps.
30
31 m h wrote:
32 > > Hello-
33 > >
34 > > I posted in the gentoo-dev mailing list yesterday, but figured I'd post
35 > > here since it is somewhat closer related. I'm investigating the
36 > > differences between portage and openpkg. For those who don't know about
37 > > openpkg, openpkg allows one to install rpms in a sandboxed environment
38 > > accross multiple unix platforms (bsd, redhat, debian, gentoo,...). It
39 > > consists of a way to bootstrap an environment and a bunch of spec files
40 > > used to create rpms specifically tailored for that platform. The idea
41 > > being you could run the "same" components across different platforms in
42 > > your environment.
43 > >
44 > > It seems that Fink and Portage for OSX are providing similar
45 > > functionality on top of OSX. My question is what would be involved in
46 > > generalizing the Portage OSX port to unix platforms similar to what
47 > > openpkg is doing. An example might be that while I need to run Suse at
48 > > work, I could install portage into a sandboxed location and enter that
49 > > environment. This would allow me to run newer components, better
50 > > integrated, security patched, etc, while still having the corporate
51 > > environment if I needed it.
52 > >
53 > > Ideally the benefits for doing this would be to allow many platforms to
54 > > take advantage of portage, use the large ebuild tree (openpkg has ~400
55 > > components), as well as use ebuilds that are tested probably a little
56 > > bit more than openpkg (I believe the gentoo install base is a least one
57 > > or two orders of magnitude larger than openpkg).
58 > >
59 > > Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are appreciated.
60 > >
61 > > thanks
62 > >
63 > > matt