From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] on stable and unstable ppc-macos
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 08:15:09
From a freshly reported bug:

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install gentoo for OSX and not be perfectly comfortable you did it right.
2. Add ~ppc-macos to the keywords for the mediawiki-1.4.9.ebuild.
3. ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~ppc-macos" emerge mediawiki

Here is where I want the discussion to start.  I myself would have done
it exact the same way, and I see it happen a lot.  In fact, I even think
this is the way the Gentoo docs advocate the use of ~arch.

What's wrong with it?

In a recent discussion I found out this is, however, not the way some
other people see the use of ~arch.  Instead they assume your whole
system is ~arch.

This very bug reported might be fixed if the whole system would be
~ppc-macos, however, the user doesn't want that.  Instead, the user
wants to use an unstable package, to have a very isolated case, where an
unstable package lives as a stable one.  As far as I know, this is the
whole thing on Portage.  It allows you to do this, and it enables you to
do this, and it even facilitates you to do this more automated, for
instance via package.keywords.

My opinion here is that there is something wrong if portage isn't able
to tell what it needs to run a package in ~ppc-macos.  Maybe this is not
easily fixable, and should we do some extra hacks to make the two worlds
play nice again.  However, I don't think having a fully ~arch system is
equal to a user that runs a stable system and wants to grab one package
from the unstable branch.  I consider the first case to be 'progressive'
(not in the ppc-macos sense) or 'bleeding edge' while the latter case is
more realistic and what happens in real life: 'controlled risk'.

I like to straighten out this issue, so everyone knows what should be
done or not be done.  I just assumed the only vision I knew was what
everyone has in mind, and this appears not to be like this.  I think
it's directly related to QA and I feel my actions largely depend on it.
  So, until I know what I'm doing is right or wrong, I won't do anything.

Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X
gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list