From: Nathan <nathan.stocks@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o, gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] ppc-macos est mort, vive ppc-macos?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:22:43
1 On 9/11/06, Grobian <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > ppc-macos is dead, long live ppc-macos
3 >
4 > Is ppc-macos a phoenix, that reborns from its own ashes? Would be nice,
5 > but I think not entirely. With the ppc-macos team going down from once
6 > 17 to now 2 people, of which one actively supporting the main tree, and
7 > that one person being me, I feel I'm done with it now. ppc-macos in the
8 > tree as it is now is going to die, unless someone steps up to maintain
9 > it. I personally, am done with it, in the form it is, which is more
10 > trouble than happyness sometimes.
11
12 Er, could you summarize what that means for those of us that have been
13 waiting to use Gentoo as a fink or darwinports/macports replacement
14 since 2004? Is the project shutting down, or just some part of it?
15
16 Just a bit confused, I thought that some prefixed-progress was finally
17 being made.
18
19 > What drove me to that descision? The new council? Not really. What
20 > really drove me there is the existence of a prefixed portage, and a tree
21 > where I have Vim and Mutt, as most important proofs of concept.
22 > Unfortunately the amd64 variant of the prefix isn't entirely working
23 > yet, with many linker problems, but for OSX it seems to work fine.
24 > Actually, it seems to work better. And I'm quite happy with it like
25 > this.
26
27 Now I'm doubly confused, since you're saying stuff is working. What
28 is dead and what isn't???
29
30 > Personally, I'm fed up with the whole Gentoo system, and the heavy doors
31 > you can only slightly open with the most efforts. Kito being mia, also
32 > means one of the biggest driving forces behind prefixed portage being
33 > gone. Exg is busy, which leaves me, not knowledgable enough for most of
34 > the stuff I've done here to get it working. I won't really be surprised
35 > if it's done not entirely correct, but so it is. I'm not going to pull
36 > the prefix car, write the glep and try to get it accepted by the rest.
37
38 What about the "gentoo system" are you fed up with? Are you talking
39 about the community system? Other than your metaphor of heavy doors,
40 the rest of your paragraph just points out that you are doing stuff
41 all alone. I'd be happy to help test ebuilds and stuff, once there's
42 some beta-quality system to test them with.
43
44 > I know prefix is working now. I use it in the situations where I wanted
45 > to have it. I know there will be people completely killing it. I hope
46 > there will be people that would like to have it, and see something in
47 > it. For me, the proof is there. It is "done". I greatly feel
48 > innovations have no place within Gentoo, which is the biggest cause for
49 > it's big decay. We should have a "sync mechanism" for our prefix tree.
50 > I feel stuck, and in the mudd, I've come far enough to know I was right.
51 >
52 > This is not exactly my resignition lettre. Officially I shouldn't
53 > exist, even. I just want to tell that I've finally given up on
54 > ppc-macos in the main tree as it is. I don't need it any more.
55
56 There's no sync mechanism for the prefix tree? That doesn't sound
57 very...usable. Is this the "heavy door" you were referring to
58 earlier?
59
60 > Maybe someone should send this to gentoo-dev even... not sure.
61
62 Beats me.
63
64 Is there anything I can help with? I'm sick of waiting, but I only
65 have superficial experience with toolchain-related issues and the
66 inner workings of portage itself. So I've waited...and waited...and
67 waited...and waited...and waited...and waited...and waited...and
68 waited...and waited...and waited...and waited...and waited...and
69 waited...and waited...and waited...and waited...and waited...and
70 waited...and waited...and waited...and waited...and waited...and
71 waited...and waited...and waited...
72
73 ~ Nathan
74 --