From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:55:06
1 On Oct 12, 2005, at 12:34 AM, Grobian wrote:
2
3 > Lina Pezzella wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Oct 10, 2005, at 6:19 PM, Mike wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> I want to make xorg-x11 available for mac-os or macos (whichever the
8 >>>
9 >> If you're happy to let portage overwrite Apple-provided files
10 >> (note: dependencies may cause more files to be overwritten than
11 >> you anticipated) then you can do this by changing your profile to
12 >> the "Progressive" profile. This is easily done by setting the
13 >> symlink /etc/make.profile point to /usr/portage/profiles/default-
14 >> darwin/macos/progressive.
17 > I think some people willl be interested in running Xorg instead of
18 > AppleX11. Knowing how to compile it is nice for when we will be
19 > able to install everything without collising like fink does.
20
21 Efforts might be best spent on the modular xorg ebuilds, as I'm sure
22 the gentoo xorg maintainers will want to ditch the monolithic ebuilds
23 at some point down the road...although there might be too much voodoo
24 in getting XDarwin.app etc. installed properly for the gentoo xorg
25 maintainers to stomach, so perhaps xorg-darwin is a possibility...
28 >> My current understanding is that the only active developer working
29 >> on the progressive profile is Kito. If you're interested in
30 >> testing for
33 > I'd say there is noone working on the progressive profile at the
34 > moment. As far as I know, Kito doesn't have a progressive setup as
35 > well. Hopefully the progressive profile will be deprecated eventually.
36
37 Not sure what gave you that idea...its the only profile for OS X I
38 find useful :p I know a few others are using it as well. Its
39 basically the proving ground for the portage base-system packages.
40 Its also whats used for Darwin development, as building Darwin system
41 packages requires a heavily modified OS X environment. I don't plan
42 on deprecating it at all, if you feel strongly otherwise, maybe you
43 should split the profiles up (again) and let the collision-protect
44 profiles that install packages to / (non-prefixed) live in profiles/
45 default-macos and leave profiles/default-darwin for, well, darwin.
46
47 --Kito
50 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list