From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] New document: Project targets
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:13:12
1 On 14-12-2005 23:33:39 +0100, Dirk Schnberger wrote:
2 > > You're getting rather stuck on a tiny little issue for a system that
3 > > doesn't really exist yet. It's just a string! Rest assured that
4 > > before the final product is released the "correct" default path will
5 > > be selected.
6 >
7 > The problem is that I am not sure if such thing as a "correct" default path
8 > even exist.
9 > IMHO the whole prefix based approach is a crutch which solves the problem in
10 > the wrong place.
11 > If you want to keep a "pure" Unix system hierarchy (which is my intention)
12 > you should try to keep all elements on the place
13 > where they are expected. This means no additional appendizes just because it
14 > is technically opportune.
15
16 With this puristic view you should join Finn Thain and go for what he
17 calls Gentoo OpenDarwin. Only that solution allows for what you want,
18 without having a progressive system.
19
20 > If I wanted a unclean file system, I could change to DarwinPorts or Fink ;)
21
22 Understandable, but unavoidable.
26 Fabian Groffen
27 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
28 --
29 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list