From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] LVM2 stripes and mirrors
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:16:53
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I've got two questions concerning LVM2.
5 >
6 > Number one: What stripesize parameter would you use? The manual of my
7 > mainboard advises to use 64k for a RAID-0. Would that be useful for my
8 > portage tree or a more conventional partition like /usr and /var?
9 >
10 > Number two is not really a performance issue but it's LVM2-related:
11 > LVM2-mirrors need an extra log device but the man pages don't tell anything
12 > about how large it has to be or if it can be a partition or loop device on
13 > the same hdd as one of the mirrors.
14 >
15 > Thanks in advance!
16 >
17 > Florian Philipp
18
19 Sizing I/O subsystems is highly workload and filesystem dependent, and
20 there's really no such thing as a one-size-fits-all quick answer. There
21 are models and there are some really good I/O subsystem benchmarks you
22 can use once you know what your workload characteristics are.
23
24 I highly recommend the book "Storage Network Performance Analysis"
25 http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Network-Performance-Analysis-Huseyin/dp/076451685X/
26 for the tools to do this. But one thing you can do first is to run your
27 workload on a system and capture data with "iostat". If you don't have
28 "iostat", you'll need to emerge "sysstat". The "iozone" benchmark is in
29 Portage, as is bonnie++. The I/O benchmark I like most is IOMeter, but
30 that requires a Windows system to run the control console and
31 downloading a Linux agent from their web site.
32 --
33 gentoo-performance@g.o mailing list