From: Sri Gupta <sri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Re: portage performance
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:20:34
On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:02:53PM -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:
> Jesse Guardiani wrote: > > > Hello, > > > > First off, sorry if this isn't the right place! > > I didn't see anything more appropriate though, except > > perhaps Portage-dev, but I'm not a developer. > > > > I'm a FreeBSD user switching to Gentoo for my home > > system. Linux 2.6 is a LOT more stable than any > > FreeBSD 5.x-RELEASE kernels right now, and Linux > > has much better support for Wine and such. > > > > One of the most obvious differences between FreeBSD > > ports and Gentoo Portage is how LONG it takes to > > search for ports/packages with Portage. > > > > I have 525 ports installed on my FreeBSD laptop right > > now, and probably only half of that installed on the > > Gentoo machine, but the gentoo machine crunches a lot > > more doing a --search than the FreeBSD machine does > > with a pkg_version -vs 'name'. > > > > And forget about --searchdesc! That takes ages! > > > > Is portage not hash indexed or something? > > > > The main problem is this.... the portage database is a file system based > mechanism. That is to say, when you update, search or otherwise use emerge, > the program is busy as hell leafing through thousands of files looking for > what you want.. > > "Hashed", "indexed"??? Not even close.... > > Portage is begging for a decent database engine and I pray it's sql > based.... > > The other hitch is that portage is written in an interpreted language, > Python. Python is an excellent programming language, no doubt about it, but > performance isn't one of it's highlights. Moving portage to C would be so > much better....
Try using a JIT-style python compiler. #emerge psyco #nano -w `which emerge` Add the bit from try: to pass in like so: ---- import os,sys os.environ["PORTAGE_CALLER"]="emerge" sys.path = ["/usr/lib/portage/pym"]+sys.path try: import psyco psyco.full() except ImportError: pass import emergehelp,xpak,string,re,commands,time,shutil,traceback,atexit,signal,s... --- use tabs for the indented bits. you can also try the experimental database support (I'm using it, seems fine) # mkdir /etc/portage # echo 'portdbapi.auxdbmodule="portage_db_anydbm.database"' > /etc/portage/modules # echo 'eclass_cache.dbmodule="portage_db_anydbm.database"' >> /etc/portage/modules Both of these speed up portage quite a bit... -Sri

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-performance] Re: portage performance Roman Gaufman <hackeron@×××××××××.com>
Re: [gentoo-performance] Re: portage performance Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>