From: Chris S <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] xeon server
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:03:32
Geisel Sierote wrote:

>Sorry. > >This is better: > >I'm installing gentoo - kernel 2.6.x in a server with the specifications >above. This will be an apache + php 5.0 + mysql 4.1 server. The server >will be instaled on an internal network. > >
no problems there so long as php5 and mysql are stable enough for you (which they should be by now although msql in portage still at 4.0)
>2 x Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz > >
don't know how much data you're actually storing, but opterons perform better at DB than xeons, but this is still a powerful system
>2GB RAM > >
get as much ram as you can. if you're making lots of mysql transactions store as much as you can in ram rather than from hdd.
>2 HD SCSI 36GB RAID 1 > >
software or hardware raid? LVM2?
>1 HD IDE 80 GB > >
need to be hot swappable? SATA? what about external USB? can you afford downtime? is this your only backup? what mainboard are you using? PSU?