From: Kevin Faulkner <kevlar.kernel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] TCP perfomance
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:35:46
1 Miguel Sousa Filipe wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Kevin Faulkner <kevlar.kernel@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Miguel Sousa Filipe wrote:
4 >>> There is no such thing has a TCP timestamp:
5 >>> http://freebie.fatpipe.org/~mjb/Drawings/TCP_Header.png
6 >>>
7 >>> so, that doesn't make any sense...
8 >> Your right and I'm wrong.
9 >> Its not in the header, its thrown on at the end....
10 >
11 > ...at the end of the tcp header, it's a tcp option. (I didn't
12 > understood that the first time I read this email).
13 > It might be good to disable all tcp optional headers..
14 > Also there might be important to look at issues such has:
15 > - mtu size
16 > - tcp window
17 > - set the don't fragment flag (this can offload the routers and
18 > optimize the mtu for the whole connection path)
19 > - use the BIC algorithm (from what I've read, that's my default choice
20 > nowadays... but for some specific workload there might be better
21 > algorithms)
22
23 I haven't played around with different congestion algorithms all that
24 much, I generally have stuck with Westwood. MTU size... with all the
25 different machines we have, I prefer to stay with the default. Window
26 size is a good point.
27
28 >> try doing
29 >> cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps
30 >>
31 >> http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/tcp/option008.htm
32 >> http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5NP0C153PI.html
33 >
34 > kind regards!
35 >
36 sorry if I seemed rude. heh, text can come across like that sometimes.
37 --
38 gentoo-performance@l.g.o mailing list