From: Joel Merrick <joel@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Gentoo-performance forum?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:24:30
Roman Gaufman wrote:

>There is certainly potential here, but let me list why your method >will be flawed: > >1) Non single user mode means you cant predict what deamon is doing >what at what time. > >
Damn, I knew there was something I missed ;)
>2) CFLAGS in make.conf are usually changed by users often. You need to >test against the age of /var/log/emerge.log and test against the >ebuild. Many ebuilds filter out several CFLAGS. > >
Sure, I understand.. hopefully they would be the same across the board, so that would induce a kind of consistent baseline, however I'm sure they differ across ebuilds of the same software
>3) There's too many entries to fill in, prone to user error, false >assumptions and ofcourse the people that will just fill in junk for >the sake of it. > >
Yea, good point again.. it's not supposed to be a be-all-and-end-all, just more of a (very limited) point of reference.. all the same notes above apply to the forums I suppose.. just depends what people take at face value
>I think a much better solution is to make a script that will auto >reboot into single user mode, perform all tests, reboot into mult user >mode and upload results. > >
I agree!
>I could help write some of those tests and benchmarks. > >
Cool! It'd be great to have standardisation... everyone singing from the same benchmark script ;) Save them to XML and fire them up to a db for everyone to assess.
>I've worked on something similar earlier this year, but its really >quite a major, complicated task thats a lot harder to achieve than >just making a simple php page where people fill in values. > >Thats why I suggested a performance forum, so things can be discussed >and polished before a good quality, comprehensive database can be >made. > >
Yea, don't get me wrong I agree wholey with you, was just thinking about interim solutions as I'm sure to setup the scripts et al. would be a big, time consuming job!