From: Joel Merrick <joel@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Gentoo-performance forum?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:24:30
1 Roman Gaufman wrote:
2
3 >There is certainly potential here, but let me list why your method
4 >will be flawed:
5 >
6 >1) Non single user mode means you cant predict what deamon is doing
7 >what at what time.
11 Damn, I knew there was something I missed ;)
12
13 >2) CFLAGS in make.conf are usually changed by users often. You need to
14 >test against the age of /var/log/emerge.log and test against the
15 >ebuild. Many ebuilds filter out several CFLAGS.
19 Sure, I understand.. hopefully they would be the same across the board,
20 so that would induce a kind of consistent baseline, however I'm sure
21 they differ across ebuilds of the same software
22
23 >3) There's too many entries to fill in, prone to user error, false
24 >assumptions and ofcourse the people that will just fill in junk for
25 >the sake of it.
28 Yea, good point again.. it's not supposed to be a be-all-and-end-all,
29 just more of a (very limited) point of reference.. all the same notes
30 above apply to the forums I suppose.. just depends what people take at
31 face value
32
33 >I think a much better solution is to make a script that will auto
34 >reboot into single user mode, perform all tests, reboot into mult user
35 >mode and upload results.
38 I agree!
39
40 >I could help write some of those tests and benchmarks.
43 Cool! It'd be great to have standardisation... everyone singing from the
44 same benchmark script ;)
45
46 Save them to XML and fire them up to a db for everyone to assess.
47
48 >I've worked on something similar earlier this year, but its really
49 >quite a major, complicated task thats a lot harder to achieve than
50 >just making a simple php page where people fill in values.
51 >
52 >Thats why I suggested a performance forum, so things can be discussed
53 >and polished before a good quality, comprehensive database can be
54 >made.
57 Yea, don't get me wrong I agree wholey with you, was just thinking about
58 interim solutions as I'm sure to setup the scripts et al. would be a
59 big, time consuming job!